Van driver cleared of driving without due care and attention after collision with cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I don't understand how these two statements match up:

"During the routine journey he sent and received several text messages. Some had been using the hands free set, and others using his hands and eyes.”

and

The bench cleared Mr Ballard of driving without due care and attention.

What the shuddering fark?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Unbelievable. Driving without due care & attention should have been an absolute minimum the driver should have been found guilty of. Shame on the jurors...

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Sounds like they are lucky to be alive, one veering into his path doesn't seem to be a reason for ploughing into the second.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I don't understand how these two statements match up:

"During the routine journey he sent and received several text messages. Some had been using the hands free set, and others using his hands and eyes.”

and

The bench cleared Mr Ballard of driving without due care and attention.

What the shuddering fark?
The Swindon Advertiser isn't know for it's award winning journalism. Quite a lot about the story doesn't add up. My hope is that the driver is shaken up enough to be more careful in future and to not break the law if it turns out that that's what he did.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not justice. It's just a big game designed to provide nourishment and succour to those who feed off the system like lemoras. That 2 innocent people can sustain serious injuries, and the person that caused them escape punishment is in no way justice.

Alas, this type of crap is all too common for me so I'm kind of switched off to it, but it still boils my pith.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm against presumed liability, but stuff like this does make me wonder...

Same here.

The bench heard the evidence, so were presumably not satisfied - to the high standard of proof required - the driver drove without due care.

Looks like his explanation of one of the cyclists swerving into his path was just enough to establish a seed of doubt, which is all the defence has to do.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Sounds like they are lucky to be alive, one veering into his path doesn't seem to be a reason for ploughing into the second.
Not only that but the witness travelling in the opposite direction says the cyclists were riding single file close to the verge. That doesn't sound like one of them veering into the van driver's path to me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not only that but the witness travelling in the opposite direction says the cyclists were riding single file close to the verge. That doesn't sound like one of them veering into the van driver's path to me.

Agreed, although the defending lawyer quite skilfully cast doubt on that evidence this way:

"But Charley Pattison, defending Ballard, of Box Bush Lodge, Brinkworth, said the couple had passed out of his field of vision at the time of the collision, and nobody had actually seen what caused the crash."

Top Bottom