Vehicular Cycling Reality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Second video on my blog (this one from this mornings ride into Manchester) I have recently posted highlighting the reality of cycling in the UK commuter environment. This one is the first in the series.

Substandard, piecemeal infrastructure and crap driving.

Bloody idiots

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If the infrastructure is sub-standard in your view, and using it invites, in the mind of WVM, a close pass, don't use it.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
If the infrastructure is sub-standard in your view, and using it invites, in the mind of WVM, a close pass, don't use it.
Not sure I quite follow you Greg.

Do you mean if I suffer a close pass, while using what I consider to be substandard cycling infrastructure, I should not use it by: a) not cycling along this route at all, or b) moving out into primary and ignoring the cycle lane all together - give up cycling or ride like I am in a motorised vehicle at all times? Nothing at all to do with the infrastructure or the poor driving standard displayed?

Look forward to you clarification Greg.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not sure I quite follow you Greg.

Do you mean if I suffer a close pass, while using what I consider to be substandard cycling infrastructure, I should not use it by: a) not cycling along this route at all, or b) moving out into primary and ignoring the cycle lane all together - give up cycling or ride like I am in a motorised vehicle at all times? Nothing at all to do with the infrastructure or the poor driving standard displayed?

Look forward to you clarification Greg.

Think about what YOU can control...

Can you do anything to remedy the (crap) infrastructure? My guess is no. Either way you are not obliged to use it.

Can you do anything to remedy the (very) poor driving standard displayed. My guess is not much, though I admire your bravery for turning around and trying to reason with WVM, even if I think it a waste of time and breath. Though you could report it to plod.

Could you avoid that route, possibly but why should you if it is convenient to use it?

Can you ignore the crap infrastructure and ride in primary? Yes.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Think about what YOU can control...Can you ignore the crap infrastructure and ride in primary? Yes.

Yes I could ride in primary. I can maintain 15mph+ or so on most roads nr where I live. What about the school kids? the mums with shopping? the new commuters dipping their toes into the cycle commuting world? What do they do?

Being able to cycle on most UK roads is about being fit, fast and confident. It will therefore only ever appeal to a small minority of people. Should we just accept that, ride accordingly and ignore the potential cycling population?

sabian92

Über Member
Be careful filtering up the inside - many accidents, sometimes fatal are caused by people filtering up the inside and drivers just not expecting s cyclist to be there.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes I could ride in primary. I can maintain 15mph+ or so on most roads nr where I live. What about the school kids? the mums with shopping? the new commuters dipping their toes into the cycle commuting world? What do they do?

Being able to cycle on most UK roads is about being fit, fast and confident. It will therefore only ever appeal to a small minority of people. Should we just accept that, ride accordingly and ignore the potential cycling population?

Where to start....It's not about 'either/or' it is about 'and/both' and please don't confuse blogging or posting clips on youtube with actually addressing the problem.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Where to start....It's not about 'either/or' it is about 'and/both' and please don't confuse blogging or posting clips on youtube with actually addressing the problem.
I don't suffer under any illusions of grandeur courtesy of my blog and vids but I do try and make the case for better cycling infrastructure, in this and other ways. How do you suggest it is done?

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Oh you clever, clever man. You completely ignored my question and had me answering something else instead. LOL.

How would you make cycling safe and attractive to the slow, young, heavily laden or inexperienced rider. Should they ride in primary or take long detours? How do they take control?

sabian92

Über Member
Thanks for the advice. I do normally filter on the o/s (as you can see at the beginning of the close pass vid) but as I was turning left at the TL and the traffic was at a standstill with no side roads to turn into it was the best route IMO.

Outside is better generally, but inside is how people get trapped against railings and killed so worth avoiding, especially at traffic lights. I've only ever done it once myself and I knew that the traffic wasn't moving because of a massive amount of road work.

GrasB

Veteran
The cyclists speed is completely irrelevant! If the cyclist is doing 5mph & it's not safe to overtake the motorist should stay behind the cyclist & do 5mph until it is safe. Taking primary is the tool used to try & ensure that an overtake only occurs when it is safe.

I should say I taught my wife to use primary at her 'cycle chique' 5-10mph pace when riding in town on her city bike with a top gear of 58".

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
The cyclists speed is completely irrelevant! If the cyclist is doing 5mph & it's not safe to overtake the motorist should stay behind the cyclist & do 5mph until it is safe. Taking primary is the tool used to try & ensure that an overtake only occurs when it is safe.

OK. I'll try and remember that when a boy racer in a souped up Focus/Golf is centimetres from my rear and leaning on the horn when I'm doing 5 mph in primary and ignoring the cycle lane to my left to stop the silly overtake.

Do me a favour? Send my wife and daughter some flowers and tell them I was in the right if I don't survive your advice.

How ridiculous!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh you clever, clever man. You completely ignored my question and had me answering something else instead. LOL.

actually I didn't ignore your questions. I answered them. i can't help it if the answers don't suit you.

How would you make cycling safe and attractive to the slow, young, heavily laden or inexperienced rider. Should they ride in primary or take long detours? How do they take control?
cycling is safe. you appear to start from the premise that it isn't. this will more or less ensure the conclusions you reach are false. as false as the initial premise. on which we fundamentally disagree.

the slow, and I note you have a thing about speed, and the heavily laden seem to be doing okay whenever I see them, or indeed when I am one of them, so not sure what you want done to make it more attractive.

the young are generally prevented by cycling by their elders aided and abetted by a certain type of cycle campaigner who has reinforced the elders' view that cycling is unsafe. you know the type; they have to drive their kids to school because there are too many cars on the road. "illogical jim"

the inexperienced rider? Is there a reason why they can't avail themselves of cycle training, and/or ride around with someone more experienced so they can learn basic cyclecraft, of which riding primary is just one small part.

As for making cycling attractive to others; I do this by the simple act of getting on my bike and riding it as often as i am able utterly deaf to the cries of those who tell me it is unsafe. Seems to have inspired quite a few to join me.