Veho MUVI video review...that tiny tiny camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

megamega

I bought my muvi from scan on saturday for 55 quid, also got delivered today the sports pack from ebay 14quid, this was sent via veho themselves. Just been into Tesco in Hindley, and they are selling both the muvi dvr and the sports pack for 60 quid, as a bundle. I used the muvi at night for the first time tonight, in the dark. It had been raining so i covered the whole dvr with a see through cd cover. Surprisingly enough, the footage was pretty good and waterproof to a fashion. the weatherproof sleeve as people have mentioned is pretty useless. What other ideas have people had to waterproof their dvr? At the same time, i was recording with the tachyon xc and virtually the whole footage was useless using this.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
megamega said:
What other ideas have people had to waterproof their dvr?

They're meant to be releasing this

http://www.action-cameras.co.uk/muvi-micro-camcorder/muvi-micro-waterproof-case/

Haven't seen it for sale, otherwise I would probably buy one. If anyone sees one please let me know (pm?) :biggrin:

I am assuming it will fit the helmet mount (otherwise, again, it's useless).

megamega

Yes been on website and someone in america is selling them on ebay. It does say it comes with its own mount. I filled the plastic cd cover up with water and none leaked out, so figured it would be good enough for the ride home. covered the dvr and then sealed with elastic. Must have looked a right idiot with the tachyon and the muvi on the one helmet, but who cares i got some good footage.

megamega

email from veho regarding waterproof case.
Hi Andy,
The Muvi Waterproof case will be available in approximately 3 weeks.
Put it on your Christmas list ;)
Kind Regards,
Ben

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
megamega said:
email from veho regarding waterproof case.
Hi Andy,
The Muvi Waterproof case will be available in approximately 3 weeks.
Put it on your Christmas list ;)
Kind Regards,
Ben

Could you ask him if it will be compatable with the helmet mount please? :biggrin:....and ask if he'll do me a nice big fat student discount :rolleyes:

thomas said:
Is there any advantage to the Turin version? Isn't it just the same in white?

No difference apart from the colour, and not being as stealthy for a spy cam....unless its snowing. :smile: Just you get the sports pack included for a fiver basically.

It still claims to have a battery life of 3 hours....that would be nice if true.

Redvers

I’ve been following this great thread as I have also been using the Muvi to record rides.

Echo most of the comments that it is a great bit of kit considering the small size and price. I found the extreme sports pack to be a bit of a waste of money, as in the end I simply clipped the camera to a backpack shoulder strap where it seems quite happy and works well.

I had the same problem with occasional stuttering footage, which I put down to the inadequate SD card supplied. Switching to a class 6 SDHC card improved things a bit but not completely.

I have noticed that if I copy the video footage to the Windows ‘My Videos’ folder (which can take some time) and then run the video from the hard disk rather than from the camera, the playback is completely smooth. I guess this would indicate that the camera is writing to the SD card perfectly well and that the problem occurs when the camera is playing back the SD card directly.

I‘d be interested if anyone else has had similar problems and found the same solution.

amaferanga

Veteran
Has anyone been successful in their home-made waterproofing attempts of the Muvi/MD80? Someone mentioned using a baloon earlier and I can see how this might work, but just wondered if anyone had any ingenious alternatives?

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
jeltz said:
Probably down to the USB transfer speed.

+1

amaferanga said:
Has anyone been successful in their home-made waterproofing attempts of the Muvi/MD80? Someone mentioned using a baloon earlier and I can see how this might work, but just wondered if anyone had any ingenious alternatives?

Cling film? Personally I wouldn't bother taking it out in the rain...and any home made methods will no doubt distort the picture quality.

I tried an old skinny race inner tube to cover most of it(general protection) marking the side buttons, you can feel you've switched it on/see the light (so know you've pressed the right button) with an extra flap and cut to tuck in a 'lid' over the top buttons and to cover up those bright flashing lights at night and opening at the back so you can still use the clip.
I've used cling film over the lens and top if its raining, though I've noticed slight condensation underneath sometimes.
I suppose you could use a condom and tie a knot in the end!!(clear and un-lubed etc, or it could add extra patterns/ effects to the vids) :laugh:

Top Bottom