Velcro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As long as I can remember it's being like that, so over 10 years, I don't know the exact date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro

1941 it was invented though.

OP
OP
oxbob

oxbob

Ok i am a old git, i was browsing cycling jackets and most referred to hook and loop fastening systems. Ffs it is velcro!!

colly

Re member eR
Headgardener said:
I believe Velcro is a copyrighted name and other firms make similar products so they can't call it Velcro thus hook and loop fastening. I expect somebody will come along soon and say that all the above is utter tosh:blush:.

Utter TOSH!

But correct anyway.:ohmy:

Velcro is a trade name just like Hoover or Pepsi.

colly

Re member eR
Funny that, so do I.

longers

Legendary Member
Someone in Germany has invented metal velcro, possible applications were said to be putting cars together and hanging cladding on buildings.

Sorry, no punchline, it's true.

jonesy

Guru
Portakabin

Headgardener said:
I believe Velcro is a copyrighted name and other firms make similar products so they can't call it Velcro thus hook and loop fastening. I expect somebody will come along soon and say that all the above is utter tosh:blush:.

This is the sort of thing Private Eye has fun with. They once printed a pompous solicitors' letter from Portakabin in their letters page pointing out that it was a copyrighted name and they shouldn't use it as a generic term for prefabricated mobile buildings, so they responded by using the word Portakabin as a heading throughout the letters page, whether relevant or not.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
jonesy said:
This is the sort of thing Private Eye has fun with. They once printed a pompous solicitors' letter from Portakabin in their letters page pointing out that it was a copyrighted name and they shouldn't use it as a generic term for prefabricated mobile buildings, so they responded by using the word Portakabin as a heading throughout the letters page, whether relevant or not.

Yes I remember that too - think they strung it out for a few weeks too! :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw on a t-shirt:

Vini, Vedi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around.

(also spotted Veni, Vidi, Visa: I came, I saw, I went shopping)

Top Bottom