Very fussy about my new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

My new bike requirements are discs front and rear (suspension front acceptable). Touring bike ie will take full mud guards, rear & front rack. Must be Rolhoff equipped. Could could possibly live with rim brakes but an old bike I own had disc front and rim brake on the back wheel and I am on the 5th rear wheel/rim So prefer disc. Must be disc rear as I would not be happy to have to pay for a Rolhoff equipped wheel to have rim replaced. Thorn Nomad is the obvious choice any other ideas? Will probably fund it by selling a Thorn Raven Enduro and charge Alfine 11. I am basically after bombproof and my Thorn Raven has proved to be. So thought I would go the next bit and go comfort as well ie get to the pub cleanish. Only really use bikes of road for foraging so a good bombproof tourer will do. Oh although I have Trail Tech lights I may go for dynamo as back up.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran

OP
OP
B

brand

Neither of those bikes are anything vaguely like I described.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If your needs are really so specific, why not have a full custom build?
An alternative is talk to Thorn or this new outfit Oxford Cycleworks to get a semi custom job?

I've found the same issue, nothing quite fitted the bill so I'm going the full custom route. You can then choose what's really important to fit your budget.

OP
OP
B

brand

"I quite fancy one of these. Not sure if it fits your needs. You could always buy it and , if it dosen't suit, give it to me as a gift :smile:"
You have to much money! Or you think I have! Like sight-pin suggesting I buy a £6500 bike. Conspicuous consumption without it being conspicuous!!!
Thorn have given the belt drive a right slagging down. With some not unreasonable points.
I am considering a second hand van nic which someone on another site is offering but titanium is not easy to repair so probably won't go for. Opps just remembered I have left cycle trailer at a garage for repair and he is going in hospital later today so must zoom off. Thanks. JB

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
"I quite fancy one of these. Not sure if it fits your needs. You could always buy it and , if it dosen't suit, give it to me as a gift :smile:"
You have to much money! Or you think I have! Like sight-pin suggesting I buy a £6500 bike. Conspicuous consumption without it being conspicuous!!!
Thorn have given the belt drive a right slagging down. With some not unreasonable points.
I am considering a second hand van nic which someone on another site is offering but titanium is not easy to repair so probably won't go for. Opps just remembered I have left cycle trailer at a garage for repair and he is going in hospital later today so must zoom off. Thanks. JB
then maybe should post what type of budget you have, then you just might get better and more realistic responses

people are suggesting what they like and maybe can afford as there are no guidelines to your budget - just saying like

OP
OP
B

brand

I am not being serious Joowy!
My budget might go to £3000. But what I want is what I want and sight-pin suggesting something that was not even slightly close for £6,500 is not what I want. You on the other are getting there. If I get a decent price for my Alfine 11 and Thorn mountain bike. Then possibly a bit more.....you never know.

OP
OP
B

brand

" Fab Foodie If your needs are really so specific, why not have a full custom build?
An alternative is talk to Thorn or this new outfit Oxford Cycleworks to get a semi custom job?"
Probably the way I will go BUT sometimes things may come up which could be changed with the overall price being below a custom job. Almost Got one but person changed there mind!
PS a Thorn Nomad mk1

As an owner of a Thorn Nomad mk II (and my OH has one as well) and having ridden it for many thousands of miles fully laden on and off-road it will certainly meet your requirements. But it is heavy, as well as almost indestructible and mostly certainly over-kill if it is never going to be taken off road. We have the disc frame (rear wheel only) but went with rim brakes (CSS rims which show no signs of needing to be replaced yet). Braking fully laden with the CSS rims is fantastic but they need custom brake blocks not standard brake blocks (Swisstop blue Ceramic ones) however they last a long time after the first set have been bedded in.
Thorn have launched a newer lighter version of the Nomad, which if I had the funds and the ability (injury prevents me) to get back out on a long tour, I would seriously consider.

Would I part from it - no never. I love riding the bike. it is totally solid, the Rohloff hub is a dream and I love it, but it is very heavy... more of a lorry (HGV1) of the bike world than a Ferrari or similar!

@User14044 also has one... :whistle:

OP
OP
B

brand

I live rural nearest shop is 6 miles. I like going on long distance pub crawls and I get to the pub at least 3 nights a week anyway. So something I can't brake is a must. My Enduro Raven is completely undamaged other than the bar ends after multiple mishaps. I live on the Lincolnshire Wolds some big hills but generally rolling. I have septic arthritis so cycling is good but only if I remain seated standing up pulling a trailer full of wood/apples is a no no. So may buy power assisted for pulling heavy loads, been thinking about it for years but just can't bring myself to do it?
If I buy a Nomad with 19 tooth rear cog I should get up any hill even if my panniers bags are full of apples (swap for beer at pub). That's my views and as Thorn always say Steel is real...... Not sure that makes any sence!!! I broke an aluminium frame once not as easy to repair as steel?

We have had several accidents between us on the 2 bikes... and they have remained in better condition than us after said accidents.
We have 17 teeth on the rear sprocket and a 36 or 38 teeth front chainring... (I think that is one below the recommendations of Rohloff). Even I can easily get up 10% hills with that combination on a fully loaded touring bike (and I am slightly paralysed down one side of my body).

OP
OP
B

brand

So maybe 19 is more than I need, arh who cares if I run out of gears gears on the flat? I always say if your exceeding 10 miles an hour in the country side then your missing the view....apples plums pears cherries Sloes elderberries etc growing in the hedge and of course mushrooms growing on the verge!

Top Bottom