Visit to Addison Lee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

her_welshness

This is what I can remember (my notes are at home).

Part 2 – Disciplinary Procedures & Outcomes

I had a meeting after the driving training with Alistair (Marketing & PR Manager) and Kieran (Sales & Marketing Director and son of John Griffin who is the owner of Addison Lee).

There is a disciplinary procedure in place. If a complaint is made against the driver (complaint is normally made by telephone) then they will be invited in for an interview with the driving liaison manager who will offer the driver the chance to provide their side of the story. They are issued with a verbal warning.

The person who takes the complaint by phone does not speak to the driver; this is handled entirely by Driving Liaison.

If the driver has got some complaints (around 4 or 5) on his record then he is sent on ROSPA training.

If the driver has still not learnt from further training (and they will call them back in again and again) then they would be let go. As they said, they are representing their firm.

The majority of their complaints come from their customers but they would welcome more feedback from other road users.

I did suggest that I would have brought my complaint to Roadsafe and Alistair said that I would have not got anywhere with them – I think he is right on that one.

Outcomes:

1. Alistair suggested that as they wanted constructive feedback that we could make the complaints section clearer on their web-site.

2. I suggested that more information on the Highway Code be implemented into their training.

3. Alistair suggested that they invest in some bicycles and offer the drivers the chance to cycle around the area. He and Kieran did question the business cost of this and I understand where they are coming from.

4. I suggested that as part of the induction process that they have some online tests and Alistair suggested that if they complete them then they get some sort of incentive for this. Some of the ideas for this included videos showing good or bad driving. Also, perhaps a module called ‘Driving in London’.

5. Alistair also suggested that they have in their internal magazine some focus on cycling and cycling awareness.

All in all I thought that it was worth the visit; they want to take these ideas on board (they were working with a cycling charity previously but they never got back to them) and improve their service ultimately.

One thing that did strike me was that Alistair who rides around Richmond Park and does sportives would not dream of cycling in central London. Another training manager I spoke to said that it was dangerous cycling in London and he would not even want his children to.

Anyway I said that I would write this up and send it back to them. If you have got any more questions/queries then please ask away because then I can pass that back to Addison Lee.

Hmmm. 3,000 cars on the road driven by 1,000 drivers explains a lot. It's hard enough driving one car in London, let alone three at the same time.

And two crashes a day our 730 crashes a year. That's almost one crash per driver per year. Looks they need better training. You might ask why such apparently thorough training produces such poor results.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
One crash per driver per year is pretty good for a taxi fleet. For private individuals in their own cars the average is something like one crash every 4 - 5 years. Multiply up by the difference in road time and you can see why the number is apparently so high.

I may be myopic or thick-skinned, but I've never found one driver group to be particularly worse than another in Central London.

One crash per driver per year is pretty good for a taxi fleet. For private individuals in their own cars the average is something like one crash every 4 - 5 years. Multiply up by the difference in road time and you can see why the number is apparently so high.

I may be myopic or thick-skinned, but I've never found one driver group to be particularly worse than another in Central London.

Is that a UK average or a London average? I hope London, otherwise I have a lot of crashing to get through to clear my backlog

Ellis456

Lol what does the addsion lee training school teach, bad driving?. Most laughably the worst drivers to use the road nd I don't even cycle/drive a lot!.

stowie

Legendary Member
I cannot say that I have a worse experience with Addison Lee than the London black cabs (who can be utter bullies).

I wonder if the business model of AL is one of the causes of reckless driving. According to what I have read, the drivers are £300-£400 down per week before they start - in these difficult times, this may need very long hours to get any kind of living. And the cabs are not their own, so it may make them less worried about prangs.

I have had some real bullies in black cabs when cycling - and as a customer I had some pretty poor experiences as well, so don't bother taking them any longer.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I reguarly see alot of Addison Lee vehicles when i'm driving on the M23, around Crawley area I'm presuming they do a lot of airport runs to Gatwick, I never really paid them much attention, they're just another large dark people carrier on the road.
But after driving in & around London a couple of times recently I can honestly say they scared the crap out of me..and I was driving another large 7 seater vehicle - I would hate to encounter one on my bike, the blatant disregard for signaling, the way they just forced across lanes of traffic, at one point if I hadn't off braked i'd have been snadwiched between a taxi & a bus, the taxi just kept moving over even when I beeped my horn!
Stop without warning/indicating - I was in the left lane at lights, one pulled up next to me, or rather slightly in front of me as they were in the ASL, then raced off from the lights only to pull straight infront of me with no signal & drop a passenger & several large suitcases off!
I lost count of how many times i was cut up by one of their vehicles, I don't intimidate easily, but after about 30 mins of driving through London, I did feel very wary everytime I spotted one, I automaticaly slowed down held back, much to the annoynace of drivers behind me, but I was anticipating the idiot next to em to just swing over constantly.

Just makes you wonder if they actulay train all their drivers to drive this way or is it they just attrcat a certain type of person to work for them?

OP
OP
H

her_welshness

Update: I am putting together an article for LCC with regards to my visit and they have contacted us to say that they want a follow-up meeting because they are creating some new training materials for their drivers and they would like our input. Really pleased about this.

Any more feedback/ideas would be very welcome!

Top Bottom