Vuelta 2014, **el sp-olé-rs**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Because his injuries from the Tour took much longer to recover from than Contador's? :whistle:

It seems clear to me that Contador's leg can't have been as badly injured as first thought. Surely nobody can go from having a serious leg injury to winning a GT in about 2 months?

This^ Broken leg my ****

I'm starting to view these spreadsheet warriors with a slightly jaundiced eye as well.

So according to those numbers Valverde looks clean. Valverde the unapologetic doper whose been in form the whole season. Utter farking bollocks.

400bhp

Guru
Kind of glad there was a minute difference at the end. Can you imagine the carnage on the last wet TT if there were seconds in it beforehand.:eek:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm starting to view these spreadsheet warriors with a slightly jaundiced eye as well

It is my considered opinion that the graphs tend to show what you expect them to show.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
It is my considered opinion that the graphs tend to show what you expect them to show.

Think you're right. When this same discussion happened after the TdF I read through a couple of the sports science sites linked to. The more credible ones specifically pointed out that power output figures and the like, taken on their own, were not conclusive.

Hont

Guru
"would likely have been fairly competitive with the 2002-2007 period of known doping" is a bit mealy-mouthed, isn't it?
It is. But then they are drawing conclusions from deduced power outputs and the results are not conclusive either way. If the estimated power outputs come in at under 5.5 Watts/Kg for a 40 minute climb then everyone can say that cycling's cleaned up. If the results all come in at over 6.3 Watts/Kg everyone cries doping. When they come somewhere in-between it's difficult to be definitive.

Hont

Guru
So according to those numbers Valverde looks clean. Valverde the unapologetic doper whose been in form the whole season. Utter ****ing bollocks.
Or, even when doping, he's not as good as Froome, Contador, Nibali, Pinot and Peraud. Just because the numbers are plausible for a clean performance that doesn't mean it is.

RobNewcastle

What a great grand tour and a solid showdown between Froome and Contador. There was clearly some mystery surrounding Contador's actual status going into the race but he's a brilliantly exciting rider and great to watch. Sure there's always going to be some controversy around him but I still enjoy watching those attacks. Froome will probably get a lot more respect from fans for his grit and trying everything. Sometimes you get more respect finishing second when you've clearly gone through hell to get there. Many other riders would've blown early on in those climbs in the Vuelta.

Let's hope 2015 both Froome and Contador are 100% going into the tour and that none of the GC contenders crashing out.

Top Bottom