Wall tiling on new plaster...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Anyone done bathroom wall tiling before? Would I need to put some sort of primer/sealant on newly-plastered walls? Thanks.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
You should leave your new plater to cure for a few weeks first, to make sure they have fully dried out then seal it with acrylic primer. Dilute the first coat and use a flexible cement adhesive to apply your tiles.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Acrylic primer - i know the stuff...thinnish milky white stuff (i think). Thanks, RD.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 1813148, member: 9609"]You would probably get away sealing it with some diluted PVA glue 6:1 then another coat 3:1. But you should seal it with something! The Acryilic stuff is what you should be using, but I have never seen any problems with PVA[/quote]
Done it twice, that is sealing surfaces with diluted PVA, then tiling. Once I sealed plasterboard (maybe this was not really needed) and once I sealed a freshly plastered wall after about a week that the plaster was applied. In both cases the tiles, years later, are still up :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I got some of this stuff:

Prime-Bond_1.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Follow the instruction on the container for diluting with water, apply liberally with a BIG paintbrush, let it dry for a day or so. Happy tiling! :thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Like other people, when I tiled our bathroom I just used an all purpose PVA sealer/bonder diluted 5:1 or so. The tiles are still there after a couple of decades so it can't be quite as bad as the pros on the TilersForum make out.

the snail

Guru
Like other people, when I tiled our bathroom I just used an all purpose PVA sealer/bonder diluted 5:1 or so. The tiles are still there after a couple of decades so it can't be quite as bad as the pros on the TilersForum make out.
The problem with PVA is that it can re-emulsify if it gets damp, so best to use a waterproof sealer.

Top Bottom