Waltham Forest Mini Holland protest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
There's some kind of irony in protesting against road closures on the very closed road you claim not to like. You couldn't have done that when it was open to all vehicles, you'd have been totalled by a white van racing a BMW

Danny

Legendary Member
Does anyone understand what the actual issues are around the Mini Holland idea?

Local MP Stella Creasy was getting hammered on Twitter yesterday by local cycle campaigners for asking whether any improvements could be made to the scheme - this was interpreted as her caving in to the pro car lobby.

oldstrath

Über Member
It appears to be a bunch of people pissed orf because they are now faced with a choice between having to drive further, or, heaven forbid, actually waling or cycling. Standard over-entitled motorist whinge.

robjh

Legendary Member

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Am I blind, or is there actually no description of what this 'mini-Holland' scheme is? (I assume it is some form of pedestrianisation?)

The centre of Hebden Bridge used to be a complete nightmare. Pedestrians doing battle with cars in narrow streets. The council proposed a pedestrianisation scheme for a part of the town centre. Shopkeepers were furious. It would kill trade. The town would die. Protest campaigns sprang up but the evil council went ahead and did it anyway ...

The result? Now very silent shopkeepers raking in the cash from the thousands of extra tourists who flock to the much-improved town! Buskers playing in the square. Street artists. Families strolling about ... Since then, I haven't heard a whimper from those people who were out campaigning against the changes!

I live not too far away and will go spend my money sometime soon.

The sad thing is people woukd rather this fail and everyone suffer than be shown to be wrong. They think it will damage local business. It's a very nice part of a fairly grotty area and I think it will be a success.

Tin Pot

Guru
There seems to have been some infernal ballyhoo:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne...me_dominated_by_angry_protestors/?ref=mr&lp=2

Mad people turned up with coffins, two old ladies told suspiciously identical stories about being almost killed on the pavement by a motorcyclist. So they oppose Mini Holland. Nope, me neither.

Well if you of all people are confused by their insanity, we've got no chance of getting it ;)

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/cycle-mini-hollands

Clearly the Work of The Devil.

It looks to me that it's part of a broader transformation of their village or whatever, that they're upset about.

tumblr_inline_niwb00BYIr1qeoexc.gif

Tin Pot

Guru
Am I blind, or is there actually no description of what this 'mini-Holland' scheme is? (I assume it is some form of pedestrianisation?)

The centre of Hebden Bridge used to be a complete nightmare. Pedestrians doing battle with cars in narrow streets. The council proposed a pedestrianisation scheme for a part of the town centre. Shopkeepers were furious. It would kill trade. The town would die. Protest campaigns sprang up but the evil council went ahead and did it anyway ...

The result? Now very silent shopkeepers raking in the cash from the thousands of extra tourists who flock to the much-improved town! Buskers playing in the square. Street artists. Families strolling about ... Since then, I haven't heard a whimper from those people who were out campaigning against the changes!

I've linked it above.

chap

Veteran
From what I've heard of this scheme, it is simply a case of closing some roads to non-emergency traffic and encouraging bicycle use. Perhaps, the issue is with how it has been planned or communicated: sadly a lot of innocent gestures are interpreted through the tribal lense of suspicion whereas this could be a win-win for residents, cyclists (who will consist of residents), and perhaps even shop keepers if it is done correctly (more pleasant, peaceful surroundings encourages more people to pass through and/or mingle, hence more shoppers.)

I hope they sort this ought soon, rather than take the defensive and non-committal 'this is for them, and it's good for you' line.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Part of the issue is how it has been communicated, which even its most ardent advocates recognise was done badly; part of the issue is that the road closures are/were aimed at deterring rat runners, which is an infringement of our fundamental Human Right to drive anywhere we like whenever we want to.

There are some pics showing various bits of it on the twitter http://twitter.com/hackneypob account. About a third of it is complete, which is centred on Walthamstow "Village" (the posh bit where the gastropubs are).

Top Bottom