WAnted Halo Spin Doctor Freehub or 48h rear hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

griff488

Hello all

I'm in urgent need of a replacement freehub for my Halo Spin doctor rear hub or I need a complete hub with 48 holes.

LEt me know what you've got please

Is this for a tandem (145mm OLD)?

A 48-spoke wheel for a MTB is way overspecc'd. 48 Spoke is for very heavy tandem riders. Mountain bikes do just fine on 32 spokes, perhaps 36 for very heavy riders. Your best option is to get a freehub for you wheel. To replace the entire hub will require a brand new wheel and the cost would be prohibitive. Having said that I think you may be looking for a complete hub so you can transplant the freehub body only?

Can't you get a new freehub from the supplier? Cant the existing one be repaired?

OP
OP
G

griff488

I weigh just under 17 stone and like to do stupid things like large jumps on my bike (usually that are beyond my skill level) so like the fact its a strong wheel. I have tried my local bike shop and as many online suppliers as I can find but no one can get a freehub until the 29th on May. I was after a second hand hub to transplant the freehub as you say but why would a new hub need a new wheel? Providing its a 48h hub of course (may have answered my own question there).
I was hoping someone had one kicking about their spares pile so I don't have to have a month off riding or buy a new hub and have it respoked

I weigh just under 17 stone and like to do stupid things like large jumps on my bike (usually that are beyond my skill level) so like the fact its a strong wheel. I have tried my local bike shop and as many online suppliers as I can find but no one can get a freehub until the 29th on May. I was after a second hand hub to transplant the freehub as you say but why would a new hub need a new wheel? Providing its a 48h hub of course (may have answered my own question there).
I was hoping someone had one kicking about their spares pile so I don't have to have a month off riding or buy a new hub and have it respoked
A new (different) hub would better be served by a new wheel. Here's why.
1) Hubs have different flange sizes. Flange size dictates spoke length. If you thus get a new hub that's not exactly the same as the one you have, it requires new spokes. New hub with new spokes on old rim is again not a good idea, so a brand new wheel is better and more sensible. Obviously that's the worst case scenario, but the changes that your new hub is exactly the same are very, very slim. There is no standard. It is also not a good idea to re-use spokes from an unknown wheelbuilder, but that's a long story. Likewise rims. They are also all different and require different spoke lengths. In the 48-spoke category you have just about zero choice for replacement. Most manufacturers stop at 36H.
2) If you are going to get a new wheel and have it built, it is a good idea to have it done with standard components and freely available spares. You've seen how difficult it is to get spares for an exotic hub. That is their biggest drawback - futureproofing via available spares.
3) That wheel is far to over-spec'd for you, no matter what type of jumping you claim to do. 36-spoke wheel will suffice and 36-spoke, standard hubs from large manufacturers with a good spares inventory are freely available.

I am not saying your existing wheel is rubbish, I'm saying it is difficult to maintain and is an odd wheel to keep on the road.

WCC

Is this for a tandem (145mm OLD)?

Ok, this is 6 months old....

I'm actually looking for a 145 OLD, 48 spoke wheel for my new tandem, as I can't use the 135 OLD Halo Spin Doctor I was using on my old tandem due to the spacing.

Top Bottom