Wanted: People to split cost of bulk purchase gear/brake cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's one for the cost cutting DIYers.

I have been looking into buying a box of 100 inner gear and 100 inner brake cables, the stainless steel varieties, not the inferior rust prone and therefore cheaper galvanized variety. Savings are significant if buying in bulk, however the initial investment is quite high if you end up buying both brake and gear cables.

Assuming individual cables purchased at retail cost £2.99 delivered, and cables purchased in bulk cost £0.80 each after shipping is factored in.

With an initial outlay of £80 per box it would require 13.3 cable changes before I broke even on cost of a box.

If I can get more than one person (myself) in on the deal the initial investment for each party falls and it becomes more attractive.

3 people with 33 cables each at £26.66, (8 changes) or
4 people with 25 cables at £20, (6.6 changes)...

and so on.

Is there anyone in the Leeds/Bradford area that would like to get in on this? Obviously I am not going to demand money up front, it would be cash on exchange of goods if done in person. Although if you were trusting enough, I would be willing to ship further afield on receipt of payment via paypal if you are prepared to cover cost of postage, although that will add slightly to your cost, may still be worth while if it if you buy a large number (>=33).

Alternatively, I could just buy boxes myself and sell surplus on ebay, however I thought it would be a good opportunity to build a network/non-profit swap/exchange community locally.

Thoughts?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Are these not the same, but significantly cheaper? The cables say galvanised or stainless steel, so it would be worthwhile confirming with ChainReaction to make sure it is stainless.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-road-inner-brake-wire-dispenser-box/rp-prod71623

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Contacted them, they are the galvanized kind, SJS offer them at similar price point, not worth the time of day if you do wet weather riding.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
If they're Campagnolo compatible, I'm in. End caps and ferrules might be handy, too. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Blimey over the last 5 years I would have saved £0.00^_^ I love complete bikes as some of you might have seen by my picture of them hanging, I hate drawers full of bits and pieces.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The economy of bulk buying might work if you sell without anybody having to pay postage/carriage costs, ie face to face transactions. Otherwise you'll get screwed by the shipping and the whole idea goes belly up. I bought a piece of stainless rod on Ebay for about £1.60, including postage. It would probably cost me double that to send it if I factored in a Jiffy bag, postage and a trip to the local post office, never mind the contents of the package and my time.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I save all my incoming jiffys for reuse, so just cost of the postage to consider, but yeah, it would make it less worthwhile, but still cheaper than retail. £3 for second class postage would add 15 pence each onto the cost of 33 cables. Still cheaper than flea bay! :smile:

I'll be buying shimano compatible cables, sorry winjim!

Top Bottom