WANTED: Shimano 105 / Ultegra Brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I forgot the add on your earlier THREAD, you won't actually notice any improvement in braking by fitting 105/Ultegra calipers.

They're basically the same caliper but each one is just fractionally lighter than the one below it, (it might not be quite as simplistic as that TBH but it's not far off).

The best brake upgrade you can make is in the pads. Use either Swissstop Green or Koolstop Salmon pads for improved performance. Then if your still not happy you can still upgrade your calipers and swap your upgraded pads over anyway.

PS: Shimano brake pads are made of cheese ^_^

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Thanks - I presume 105 brakes would be better than the tektro (or something) that I have on now?
I have Koolstop pads in them

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Thanks - I presudon' 105 brakes would be better than the tektro (or something) that I have on now?
I have Koolstop pads in them

Oh yes, I have tried tektro and they are poor (being polite)
I don't know about shimano pads being made of cheese. I find the pads on 105 and Dura Ace calipers very good.

I have a set of 105 brakes in excellent condition for sale. £35 posted. The pads still have a long live.... that shows how little use the brakes have.

PM me if interested

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have you got your pads set up with the correct 'toe-in' RN?
Yep set up is perfect but note that I do not use Brifters, one set have bar end brake levers to work them (on bullhorns) another have interrupters (reversed so that the nipples simply fit into the adjusters, this allows the cables to be routed under the bar tape while still allowing the use of bar-end shifters on tri bullhorns as I couldn't get on with the shifters on tri extensions) and the 3rd on old weinmann levers with suicide extensions. They don't grab or squeal its just that you only need very gentle pressure and have to remember this after swapping bikes from the flat bar ones that need a good old squeeze. I can in fact lock the back wheel with one finger on all 3 set-ups and also have adequate braking on the suicide levers (a first with them)

Top Bottom