WANTED women's mountain bike/hybrid/cx bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiriyama

My other half is currently trying to get fit. She's decided she wants a bike (even though she hates cycling) so I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on a new bike that will potentially just fill the shed! So I'm on the lookout for a second hand bargain. I'm aware I could get her a new bike from Halfords for £99 but think I could find something better quality second hand. Doesn't have to be anything special as long as it works. About a medium size and preferably somewhere near Huddersfield. Budget is about 150 quid 200 max. will mainly be used off road.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also take a look at the decathlon range, much better than halfords cheap stuff

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359112-mountain-bikes#page2

Cyclist33

My other half is currently trying to get fit. She's decided she wants a bike (even though she hates cycling) so I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on a new bike that will potentially just fill the shed! So I'm on the lookout for a second hand bargain. I'm aware I could get her a new bike from Halfords for £99 but think I could find something better quality second hand. Doesn't have to be anything special as long as it works. About a medium size and preferably somewhere near Huddersfield. Budget is about 150 quid 200 max. will mainly be used off road.
A workmate was trying to sell exactly what you're after, out of Leeds or Sheffield.

I can discuss with her next week if u want...?

Dave7

Legendary Member

I live in Warrington but this is probably worth the round trip.
I bought my wife a "mountain" bike years ago. It has been used maybe 10 times and lies in the garage. It's a 21 speed Townsend. She is 5' 2".........this will probably suit up to 5' 6". Yours for £25.00 :smile:

OP
OP
kiriyama

kiriyama

I live in Warrington but this is probably worth the round trip.
I bought my wife a "mountain" bike years ago. It has been used maybe 10 times and lies in the garage. It's a 21 speed Townsend. She is 5' 2".........this will probably suit up to 5' 6". Yours for £25.00 :smile:

Might be worth the trip. Is it in working order?

Cubist

Still wavin'
How tall is she? I have a small hybrid 700c frame and forks that would build into a decent bike with used bargain parts in your budget for someone around the 5'2" mark. . I paid very little for it, and would love to see it go to a good home. I'm in Huddersfield. The offer would include helping to source the bits and build it at cost only. Pm me if you're interested.

dawn72

I'm at a big of a loss to understand why she wants a bike if she hates cycling. What's her previous experience of cycling that made her hate it? I tried a few years ago and didn't like it because I bought a cheap crappy heavy bike and was really unfit. This time round I bought a decent bike and started off with really short rides then gently increased those to build my fitness. I understand not wanting to spend too much but a cheap bike may put her off. Could you borrow one or try a recycling or cash converters type of shop

OP
OP
kiriyama

kiriyama

I'm at a big of a loss to understand why she wants a bike if she hates cycling.

She did a lot of competative dancing when she was growing up which did permenant damage to her knees. (When the doctor told her to stop she carried on dancing) the action of pedaling a bike seems to cause her knee pain, which is why she hates it. But as the local ladys have all started cycling up and down the Greenway she wants to join in!

Iv managed to borrow a bike for her to try. Which (as i expected) has sat in the shed for 4 days! I understand what you mean about a cheep bike putting her off. That's why I'm on the lookout for a bargain. I would rather search around for a bit than buy a cheep one. The very real possibility that she will give up in two months doesn't justify buying an expensive new bike.

OP
OP
kiriyama

kiriyama

How tall is she? I have a small hybrid 700c frame and forks that would build into a decent bike with used bargain parts in your budget for someone around the 5'2" mark. . I paid very little for it, and would love to see it go to a good home. I'm in Huddersfield. The offer would include helping to source the bits and build it at cost only. Pm me if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer. That would be perfect if she wasn't 5'5" !

Top Bottom