Was in a restaurant at the weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

in Harrogate called The Royal Baths.

Chinese and well worth a visit if you're local. Food was top notch!

However the bill comes and it's got one page printed with a drinks total, a food total, a service charge and then the total. Behind that were blue bits of paper with everything written in chinese.

Now the bill was a bit hefty due to Mrs G and her sidekick ordering a lot of Champagne. My mate and I not one for getting the piss taken out of us thought despite the large amount of drinks we had, the bill was still a bit higher than expected.

He asks fo an itemised bill. Well the next thing is the owner comes over saying he will talk us through the bill!!!! We say no, just print out an itemised bill. He then goes on to say he can't afford a till system like that!

He is so skint since the cost of the refurb and fees for planning (backhanders reading between the lines) etc were runinng into a good couple of million

He's going to have to get that sorted or he'll go down the tubes as while I'm not tight at all and happily will spend a lot on a good meal. When you think it's £50 too much and you can't check you feel a bit like a mug.

I will go back but I'm sure a lot of people will think otherwise if feel the same after they've been

Is it not just lost in translation? If the staff and chef work in chinese then perhaps they dont put it in the system in english and so that is why he wanted to go through it which would be translating it. You are assuming the place has people who understand and can write in English, perhaps it has not.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

It should still not stop them getting a written order in chinese and then the bill put through the till in English if that's the case. And I doubt the barmen in the bar who's English was perfect don't understand a drinks order written in English.

My favourite Chinese in Glasgow has chefs who don't speak a word of English but you don't get a made up bill served at the end with things papped on you don't understand.

Over The Hill said:
Is it not just lost in translation? If the staff and chef work in chinese then perhaps they dont put it in the system in english and so that is why he wanted to go through it which would be translating it. You are assuming the place has people who understand and can write in English, perhaps it has not.

Top Bottom