Washing-up machine question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it possible to use washing powder (for clothes) in a washing-up machine?

I work with three Swedes, two of whom think they know EVERYTHING (they're even worse than me! :smile:) and say it is impossible to do so!

Anyone know for sure so I can put them in their place, or do I have to eat humble pie? :laugh: :biggrin:

mr Mag00

rising member
hand soap yeah, as it doesn't foam the same, normal soap i wouldnt

Jonathan M

But why would you want to do this in the first place? I wouldn't want to eat off tableware that had a hint of rose blossom or whatever they use to make washing powder smell, but then I dislike those scented washing up liquids anyway, they seem to linger for ages and can spoil the enjoyment of eating a meal.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yes you can, and it's especially useful for cleaning bike chains and sprockets. And those really old undies that you fear will disintegrate in the spin cycle. Now do it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Some excellent advice already - why hesitate? The next one is to put all your crocks and cutlery in the washing machine. Gets everything really nice and clean.

Any more helpful tips you need, you know where to come...

Another yes from me Dayvo - no problem. I advise filling a tumbler with soap powder though and then leave it upright in the rack - don't put it in the dispenser as it will clog. Biological is best. Excellent for nice cycling gloves too - the velcro doesn't catch like it does in a rotary wash.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The effect of dishwash detergent and clothes-washing detergent isn't too different, both are heavily caustic to remove greasy dirt although clothes powder has all kinds of additives like enzymes and TAED to enhance its effectiveness especially at low temperatures. The big difference will be that even an automatic powder is designed to foam a little for aesthetic reasons so sprayed at high pressure in a dishwasher it will foam like hell although the foam will be quick-breaking.

A hand-washing powder would probably fill your kitchen with foam!

The other difference is in the perfumes; dishwash powder perfumes are light volatile lemons etc. designed to do a short-term job of masking bad smells while clothes powder perfumes contain some interesting molecules like synthetic musks, ambers and sandalwoods, which are very cloth-substantive and won't get washed off or evaporated by hot air drying and ironing. These molecules are especially attracted to plastics so you might find that your plastic Ikea plates and cups come out smelling a bit tainted.

Added: don't put alloy bike parts in the dishwasher, the causticity of the powder actually erodes the surface of the alloy and dulls it. Don't ask how I know! It does work well on contaminated disc brake pads though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Come on RR, humour's all very well but the man's looking for some proper advice.

PS Washing machines are great for getting pets really clean too. Dogs, cats, rabbits, you name it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh, okay: I once worked in a hotel kitchen and one of the cooks stuck his knob in the dishwasher.

They both got sacked.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Jonathan M said:
But why would you want to do this in the first place?

Because they're lazy bastards and don't was anything by hand - just stick it in the machine. But there aren't anymore tablets or powder and the machine is full, plus at least another load; the boss gets back on Monday and has told them before to be 'tidier', but they don't/won't listen to me.

So it's their problem, as the boss knows I'm a goody-goody efficient (OCD). :smile:

And thanks for the tips! NOT! B) I know where to not come for any help in future! :smile:

Top Bottom