'We Are Cycling UK' (Formerly CTC) 3rd party insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So ive just read the letter that 'We Are Cycling UK' (Formerly known as CTC) sent me. I paid £24 to join as an affiliate of the fridays that it includes 3rd party insurance.

Problem is, that im already insured with BC. Is there a way to discontinue 3rd party via CTC or is the only way forward to cancel one of them?

I have an affiliate membership but it says 'full membership' in my CTC membership panel.

::EDIT::

Im probably dumb and the answer is staring me right in the face but i dont know how to fix this apart from discontinuing one of them!

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not the end of the world if you have two lots of insurance covering the same thing - insurance companies are used to dual insurance and in the vanishingly unlikely event that you're sued for millions will probably agree how to deal with it between them without worrying you about it. You may well find out that underneath the branding bonnet both companies are the same.

In any case, the insurance premium component of each membership is almost certainly tiny, which is one of the reasons why it's not worth BC and CTC offering versions of the membership without insurance.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It's not the end of the world if you have two lots of insurance covering the same thing - insurance companies are used to dual insurance and in the vanishingly unlikely event that you're sued for millions will probably agree how to deal with it between them without worrying you about it. You may well find out that underneath the branding bonnet both companies are the same.

In any case, the insurance premium component of each membership is almost certainly tiny, which is one of the reasons why it's not worth BC and CTC offering versions of the membership without insurance.

Well im paying £35 for BC regular package but if im insured with ctc then i can drop down to the cheaper 'fans of cycling' package with BC to still get the discounts

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why do you think it's tiny? Although it's a fairly cheap add-on to household insurance, it's a £10ish optional extra on LCC membership and I think BC's uninsured membership is £14 lower than the cheapest insured one.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why do you think it's tiny?
I know a little bit about insurance pricing...
Although it's a fairly cheap add-on to household insurance, it's a £10ish optional extra on LCC membership and I think BC's uninsured membership is £14 lower than the cheapest insured one.
But I didn't know that memberships excluding insurance are available.

Billy Hughes

So ive just read the letter that 'We Are Cycling UK' (Formerly known as CTC) sent me. I paid £24 to join as an affiliate of the fridays that it includes 3rd party insurance.

Problem is, that im already insured with BC. Is there a way to discontinue 3rd party via CTC or is the only way forward to cancel one of them?

I have an affiliate membership but it says 'full membership' in my CTC membership panel.

::EDIT::

Im probably dumb and the answer is staring me right in the face but i dont know how to fix this apart from discontinuing one of them!
Have a look at cyclist support solutions, i've just bought membership with them after doing my research on protection whilst im cycling since i've been knocked off more than once.

Mod note: Billy Hughes and his sock puppet have been deleted. However the post has been left here, together with the name of the company they were trying to advertise, as a warning - read through the following posts ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at cyclist support solutions,

I have.

i've just bought membership with them after doing my research ..........

Hmm - don't want to worry you, if you have indeed bought membership with them.

1. That website fails virtually every single legal requirement of business websites.
2. It is, technically, a shockingly poorly designed and implemented website - pretty much on a par with all the other websites for the same company (and that doesn't count the many that time out).
3. The better part - somewhere behind the messy web, there is indeed a company, registered with the Ministry of Justice as a claims management business (status - "Authorised business" authorised by the User to provide regulated claims management services ----- does not indicate recommendation/endorsement); and the "root company" is registered at UK Companies House.

Just for fun ...

4. Unstoppable Rise in Peddle Power -- umm, you may have fallen for it! :whistle:

5. "5 years ago our small village Bike Shop would have considered themselves lucky had they managed to sell one children’s bicycle in any one given day." Hmm - I can't find a bike shop anywhere near the company's address.

Bottom line - does this look like a company that I would trust for something as important (and legally complicated should I have the misfortune to need it) as insurance? Would I part with cash? No way.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Blimey - that website and their offering is horrific. Ignoring the basic grammar and spelling issues what they are offering is complete dross too.

Look at their full terms and conditions. LINK REMOVED

"It would be fair to say that most motorists look upon cyclists as second hand citizens"
I'm second hand? Who owned me before??

"We are can’t make the roads any safer but we can certainly make you a lot safer."

The website is a joke - it appears to be written by a child. I'm not generally in the habit of paying for insurance from such amateurs as I'll never trust them to handle a claim properly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The website is a joke - it appears to be written by a child. I'm not generally in the habit of paying for insurance from such amateurs as I'll never trust them to handle a claim properly.

I very much doubt you would deal with them in the event of a claim. You are only covered for non-fault claims, so they will just sell your details to a no win no fee company.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Blimey - that website and their offering is horrific. Ignoring the basic grammar and spelling issues what they are offering is complete dross too.

Look at their full terms and conditions. LINK REMOVED

A recovery service, limited to 10 miles - and get this, the 10 miles includes the return to base mileage of the rescuer !
So if the rescue vehicle has to travel more than 5 miles from HIS home, you're already out of luck

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A recovery service, limited to 10 miles - and get this, the 10 miles includes the return to base mileage of the rescuer !
So if the rescue vehicle has to travel more than 5 miles from HIS home, you're already out of luck
Exactly - it is not fit for purpose at all. You are paying £25 per person for nothing useful in return.

Top Bottom