Weird gear happening.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Okay, so something weird is happening with my gears. I am not at all technically minded so bear with me.

I have 3 rings that are controlled by my left hand and then my right goes from 1-8. Now I happily dawdle along on number 2 on my left hand gear thingy and between 4 and 6 on the right hand. Now the last three or four times I have gone to ride my bike after it has been stood either overnight or at work for a couple of hours, it has dropped to number 1 on my left hand gear thingy.

It sounds very gratey when I set off, I have to go up to number 3 then back down to 2 and it seems to be okay, but when I go back it has dropped off again. Any suggestions?

It sounds to me as if you have friction shifters that need tightening. How about a nice, in-focus photo of the gear shifty thingies and we'll take a look.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

It sounds to me as if you have friction shifters that need tightening. How about a nice, in-focus photo of the gear shifty thingies and we'll take a look.
Do you mean my flappy paddle things by my hands or down where the wheel is? (excuse my ignorance)

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Attachments

• 20161026_214710.jpg
    20161026_214710.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 34
  • 20161026_214814.jpg
    20161026_214814.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Is this happening in one place or everywhere you stop?
No, at first I thought it had caught on my daughters bike in the shed, however it happened again this morning and this evening when I left for home it had done it. When I got home I just stood it in the garden, when I have gone out 3 hours later to put it away it has dropped to number 1 again.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not really sure how a bike can change gear on its own! I've got a bike with bar-end friction shifters that very often get nudged and I get back on in a gear (or a scrunchy inbetweeny gear) I didn't mean to but I always know that it's my clumsiness. Give the wheel a pedal's turn next time you leave it and check it's still running clean. If it's not the same when you get back to it I'll index my hat.

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, so something weird is happening with my gears. I am not at all technically minded so bear with me.

I have 3 rings that are controlled by my left hand and then my right goes from 1-8. Now I happily dawdle along on number 2 on my left hand gear thingy and between 4 and 6 on the right hand. Now the last three or four times I have gone to ride my bike after it has been stood either overnight or at work for a couple of hours, it has dropped to number 1 on my left hand gear thingy.

It sounds very gratey when I set off, I have to go up to number 3 then back down to 2 and it seems to be okay, but when I go back it has dropped off again. Any suggestions?

Buy an automatic next time.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

I'm not really sure how a bike can change gear on its own! I've got a bike with bar-end friction shifters that very often get nudged and I get back on in a gear (or a scrunchy inbetweeny gear) I didn't mean to but I always know that it's my clumsiness. Give the wheel a pedal's turn next time you leave it and check it's still running clean. If it's not the same when you get back to it I'll index my hat.
I know right! But honestly, I pushed it through the gate tonight, stood it on the lawn and it has dropped to number 1!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is the shifter clicking down, or is the chain dropping down with the shifter still in 2 ?

Could be that your mech is badly adjusted. In normal use will it shift between all three easily.

Top Bottom