Welwyn Garden City

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What sort of distance? National Cycle Route 61 through Hatfield and on to St Albans?

Hilaryt

Or you can get on the Cole Green Way (old railway track) to Hertford and then pick up the tow path which goes all the way to Stratford with lots of options to get the train back.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hotel I'm in is the Best Western in the middle of town. I'm expecting to have the evening free less a bit of work revision, so a 20 odd mile pootle seems in order, - which way out of town is the quietest/nicest? My meetings the following day are in Sandridge, I was wondering about leaving the car at Welwyn and riding over there and back just to stretch my legs a bit too. Is it a dormitory hell at rush hour of people fighting their way onto the A1 or ok for a newbie riding it do you reckon?

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Or you can get on the Cole Green Way (old railway track) to Hertford and then pick up the tow path which goes all the way to Stratford with lots of options to get the train back.

Can this be done on a road bike? And where's the tow path?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The towpath follows the River Lea navigation. It's variable in quality. I've done it down to London on a road bike, but only once. There were some horrible rutted sections near Dobbs Wier IIRC.
The easiest way to find the towpath in Hertford is to go to Hertford East train station, and carry on the same road for a few hundred yards, towards a marina. Turn right onto the towpath just before you cross the canal.
EDIT cross-posted!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@shouldbeinbed - when are you in Welwyn? I'm up for a ride and a beer if you fancy it.

Top Bottom