West Highland Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Anyone ridden it the entire length 96 miles? Is it straightforward or are there sections you need to carry your bike so walking only? Would I need a MTB or could I manage riding it on a 700c tourer with 35C tyres?

fimm

Veteran
I've walked the lot, a few years ago now. People do cycle it. The section at the north end of Loch Lomond is carrying territory - up and down lots of little steps & boulders.
Boyfriend has cycled from Tyndrum to Fort William over two days a couple of times. I think that section is all fine (apart from a couple of climbs, but that's not really what you're asking). (B/F has also run the whole thing in one go, but that's just craziness...)

ScotiaLass

Guru
There's a few videos on You Tube, just search for 'cycling the West Highland Way'.
Some parts looked tricky and as fimm rightly said, some parts you'll need to carry the bike.
Edited to add I think most of the videos I looked at used a mountain bike

fimm

Veteran
I think that trailscotland report sums it up pretty well (and mentions lots of other carrying spots that I had forgotten/not thought of).

Edit: Mountian bike.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I ran it once and find it hard to believe that it would b fun to ride. Some of it was tortuous progress even on nimble feet but I wasn't a cyclist then and may have misread it.
The numerous roots beside Loch Lomond were hard to even jog,

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I think I shall need to rethink. I was thinking of riding it to avoid using the roads to get to either 1)Fort William and further to Skye or 2)Mallaig and take the ferry to Skye. Plus I always wanted to walk or ride it but too little time at the moment to spend a week walking it.

Thanks again.

U

User6179

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I think I shall need to rethink. I was thinking of riding it to avoid using the roads to get to either 1)Fort William and further to Skye or 2)Mallaig and take the ferry to Skye. Plus I always wanted to walk or ride it but too little time at the moment to spend a week walking it.

Thanks again.

Your best bet would be national cycle route 7 from Drymen heading north , Drymen is about 10 miles from start of WHW, quiet roads and some off road that is ok for tyres 28mm and above.

Top Bottom