What are the Tour Riders payed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. I have been catching up on some Tour recordings and in particular some of the later stages of the Vuelta a Espana.
A comment was made that compared the stage win prizes/bonus paid to riders when compared to the some what HUGE figures for wins in The Tour de France.
How do their contract and transfer fees compare against footballers ?
Riders cannot survive on bonuses/prize monies so my question is :- What are they paid as a wage and how do they rate among footballers crazy wages and transfer fees ?

Hi roadrash. Thank you for the info link. Very interesting reading albeit the age of it.
I wonder how that compares with the Pro-Tour riders of the very early 60's & into the early/mid 70's which was my formative years of riding.
I ended-up going into the upholstery trade after leaving Technical High School in 1962 at the age of very nearly 17yrs old and later became self employed.
Perhaps an early career in cycling might have been a change of fortunes - one will never know.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi all. I have been catching up on some Tour recordings and in particular some of the later stages of the Vuelta a Espana.
A comment was made that compared the stage win prizes/bonus paid to riders when compared to the some what HUGE figures for wins in The Tour de France.
How do their contract and transfer fees compare against footballers ?
Riders cannot survive on bonuses/prize monies so my question is :- What are they paid as a wage and how do they rate among footballers crazy wages and transfer fees ?
Hardly huge figures:

Prize-600x693.png

General Classification Top 10 Money
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky €450.000
2 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team €200.000
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team €100.000
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team €70.000
5 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo €50.000
6 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo €23.000
7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek Factory Racing €11.500
8 Mathias Frank (Swi) IAM Cycling €7.600
9 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale €4.500
10 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar €3.800

MikeG

Guru
10th in the 'tour and all you get is 3.5k for all those hours of toil...
£2950 for 85 hours work = £34.70 per hour. Not exactly retirement money.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
It's worth remembering that it is not uncommon for prize money to be divided equally amongst the whole team. Similarly, didn't Wiggins share out his win bonus from Team Sky to his team mates? I suppose such magnanimity isn't hard when you're already minted, but it recognises such endeavours really are team efforts.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's worth remembering that it is not uncommon for prize money to be divided equally amongst the whole team. Similarly, didn't Wiggins share out his win bonus from Team Sky to his team mates? I suppose such magnanimity isn't hard when you're already minted, but it recognises such endeavours really are team efforts.
I think it goes further than that. Rather than not being uncommon, I believe it's the norm for the GC and other major prizes to be shared out (I think you get to keep a stage win)

Top Bottom