What average MPH is good over a 10 mile ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

What you need to do is find a longish stretch of flat road. Devise a ten mile circuit which ends at the far end of the long flat road.
Ride the circuit and then cruise the long flat road, noting your riding speed. Then turn round and ride along the other direction, also noting your riding speed. Take an average.

What you have just done is 'parallel passes', in a similar method to the 'land speed record' procedure.

Every now and again, do this and you might notice your speed increasing.

Then after some months, devise a twenty five mile circuit to ride before the 'Parallel passes'.

This is a routine that can be done in conjunction with the repeated hill climb procedure I described on another thread.

jimboalee

Toby_2009 said:
Hi guys, thanks for the replys, Did the 10 mile Time Trial again yesterday (same route) and had an average of 17.0 MPH, so Iv gone up by 1.5MPH!

Pretty pleased, I realise that I wont increase at that rate the whole time but its still nice!

Also, I did a 30 mile on sunday and my average was 15.5 which is the same as my first ride of my time trial, even though I was pushing on my time trial and taking it easy on the 30 miler. Oh well, strange stuff eh;)

Before a ten mile TT, you should ride ten miles at a moderate/fast pace aiming to get to the start five or so minutes before your 'Off' time.

Ideally, you should get your spare bike on the rollers for 45 minutes to warm-up before the TT. You never know if you will P* on the road warm-up.

peanut

Joe24 said:
I used to go out regulary and do 30miles in 1:29, and sometimes 1:28, and thats with hills in.
Sorry no more pissing contests;)

Talking about pissing though, have you ever just been going along and had the urge to pee. Then you get off and pee(chose a spot with a nice view) and be peeing there for ages taking in the view?

yep and a car pulled up and two ladies and a dog got out and started to walk into the wood :biggrin::blush::biggrin::blush: had to make out I was stretching my legs :tongue: I don't think they noticed

Randochap

Senior hunter
The first thing you need to do is not believe half ... make that 9/10ths of what you read on internet bike forums -- especially when it comes to "average speeds."

Average speed doesn't mean much. The thing is how well are you doing for a given terrain and the conditions. Some will tell you it's only watts that count.

I'd say, just go out and enjoy your bicycle at this point.

If you want to improve the "ride" of your present bike, the cheapest upgrade is to get rid of the knobbies and put some slicks on it.

Have look around VeloWeb for some other tips and inspiration.

Cheers,
Rando

colinr

On my TT bike(also fixed) my PB so far(only used it 2 times) is 24:55 on a windy day

I devised a 10 mile route and managed 33:53 today (fixed). It had a lot more hills in it than I realised when plotting it on google maps. I hope your route is quite flat, otherwise I feel really unfit.

However, a few years ago I couldn't get up one of the hills on my route, and I was using gears then, so I claim a personal victory :wacko:

peanut

colinr said:
I devised a 10 mile route and managed 33:53 today (fixed). It had a lot more hills in it than I realised when plotting it on google maps. I hope your route is quite flat, otherwise I feel really unfit.

However, a few years ago I couldn't get up one of the hills on my route, and I was using gears then, so I claim a personal victory :biggrin:
well done colinr
I'm working out a 10 mile loop myself tonight . Can't wait to try it out. 30 mins is the best I used to do I'd be well happy with 33mins but it does have a few corners and hills :wacko:

Al Fowler

Im going to have to try a 10 mile loop myself once my hybrid comes back from the menders.....the derailleur decided to rip itself off the bike when it somehow hit my spokes.....:rolleyes:

jimboalee

Randochap said:
The first thing you need to do is not believe half ... make that 9/10ths of what you read on internet bike forums -- especially when it comes to "average speeds."

Average speed doesn't mean much. The thing is how well are you doing for a given terrain and the conditions. Some will tell you it's only watts that count.

I'd say, just go out and enjoy your bicycle at this point.

If you want to improve the "ride" of your present bike, the cheapest upgrade is to get rid of the knobbies and put some slicks on it.

Have look around VeloWeb for some other tips and inspiration.

Cheers,
Rando

This year's aim for me is to gain AUK's Brevet 2000. My choice is to do it by way of 20 x 100km rides.

My strategy is to ride most of them as DIYs, choosing towns ~50km away, ride and return.

I check the weather to ascertain the wind direction. I ride out AGAINST the wind, and home wind assisted.

The outward is a bit tough, but the homeward ride is absolute bliss. THAT is what it's all about - enjoyment.

peanut

Al Fowler said:
Im going to have to try a 10 mile loop myself once my hybrid comes back from the menders.....the derailleur decided to rip itself off the bike when it somehow hit my spokes.....:rolleyes:

ouch :rolleyes: hope its back soon :rolleyes:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Al Fowler said:
Im going to have to try a 10 mile loop myself once my hybrid comes back from the menders.....the derailleur decided to rip itself off the bike when it somehow hit my spokes.....:smile:

Do you know what you need?

Can anyone gues what im about to say?:biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Joe24 said:
Do you know what you need?

the ability to ignore immature teenagers who, having found their current latest and greatest, want to convert the world to their way of thinking. They know it's right and can't believe the stupidity of others in not seeing the obvious. You could almost describe them as 'fixed' in their viewpoint.

just a guess there

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
MacBludgeon said:
the ability to ignore immature teenagers who, having found their current latest and greatest, want to convert the world to their way of thinking. They know it's right and can't believe the stupidity of others in not seeing the obvious. You could almost describe them as 'fixed' in their viewpoint.

just a guess there

Errrrrm, no:wacko:
Just because you advocated violence and i went against it, theres no need to be stroppy now is there?
You forgot the capital T at the start of your post aswell. I mean come on!! At least put some effort in.

Top Bottom