What do you think of this lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTone0777

Hi all, after hacksawing through my £30 cable lock in a minute of so (after I forgot the combination Doh!) I decided maybe I should look for something a bit more secure for my new bike. Whilst browsing I can across this one which has an £800 anti-theft guarantee and thought they must have a little confidence in it. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_1593wt_1139

rusky

CC Addict
Nothing will stop a determined thief.

It really depends on where & how long you will leave your bike locked up. Abus have a very good reputation but are twice the price as the one you linked to.

Coco

... Whilst browsing I can across this one which has an £800 anti-theft guarantee and thought they must have a little confidence in it. What do you guys think?

I think they have confidence in the terms of their insurance
wave.gif

I had a lock with a similar guarantee and it simply wasn't worth the bother - IIRC they wanted money to register the lock or some such nonsense. Worth checking out the terms before you buy the lock.

+1 for Abus, they seem to get much better reviews.

crazy580

Whilst browsing I can across this one which has an £800 anti-theft guarantee and thought they must have a little confidence in it. What do you guys think?

If your bike gets stolen, you have to show the lock has failed to get that £800 guarantee, since most thieves take the lock with them after they have cut through it, the guarantee is worthless.
Another vote for Abus here.

+1 for faith in their insurance. It's a way to market the product is all. Old fashioned values like you get what you pay for apply pretty much.....

+1 for Abus...for insurance had to get a certain grade of lock and a lot of theirs were on the approved list.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Thanks for the replies guy's. I was thinking they must have some faith that it can do the job but your right, a good insurance company will provide the same confidence lol!

Manonabike

Über Member
Take a look at this list of locks

Best locks

I have a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini and I find it perfect for my needs..... after I fit it around seatstays, wheel and post there is no room for a mini bottle jack and you cannot cut an 18mm thick shackle with a boltcropper, not even a 42" cropper. Having said all that, if a thief really wants your bike then he can use a power tool and that can cut the lock in a little over 3 minutes.

I also have a Kryptonite Evolution Mini Lock a little smaller that the other one but it fits perfectly around the seattube, wheel and post.

I use Evolution Mini lock if I need to leave my bike for 15 minutes or less. I use the Fahgettaboudit Mini lock for anything longer, however, if I need to leave the bike on a quiet road and without CCTV then I use both locks :biggrin: (paranoid? Oh yes!!!! :biggrin: but I would hate to have a bike stolen)

I also use pitlock skewers on both wheels and a superglued ballbearing technique to secure my handlebars, saddle and seatpost :biggrin:

Bournemouth is not one of the major bike crime towns, nevertheless, there were 1500 bikes stolen last year and I would hate to become another statistics.

e-rider

crappy member
sold secure silver; 13mm shackle = average strength lock!

forget about the £800 stuff; read the small print and you'll discover that a claim is almost impossible in almost all cases.

monkeypony

D locks are complete shite. You can pop them with a bottle jack in a few seconds.

Just get a length of hardened steel chain and the best padlock you can afford.

monkeypony

that is poor advice IMO

No it isn't.

D locks ARE shite and cable locks (as the op pointed out) can be got through even quicker.

Chain* may be heavy but if you want security there isn't much out there that can beat it.

(* case hardened chain secured with case hardened padlock)

Personally, the only bike I would leave unattended outside is my tandem. All other bikes, if a can't see it, then it's indoors!

Manonabike

Über Member
D locks are complete shite. You can pop them with a bottle jack in a few seconds.

Just get a length of hardened steel chain and the best padlock you can afford.

I would challenge you anytime to try and brake my mini D lock with a bottle jack.

You probably could...... if I used a standard size D lock but with a mini D lock around the frame, wheel and post there would not be room to fit a mini bottle jack at all :biggrin: so your statement is complete shite :biggrin:

It seems that all videos showing how to use a mini bottle jack were removed from youtube.... but I found a picture of a jack being used

42point7jacking.jpg

I also found a video of something called bottle jack defeater

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76O5tGkAC0&feature=player_embedded[/media]

So I suggest you learn your facts before you make statements like "D locks are are complete shite"

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Thanks for all your comments and advice guy's. Think I'm gonna go for it just coz it's a sensible price and much better than a cable lock!

Top Bottom