What exactly is a cockwomble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I always thought that it was some sort of Willy Warmer, traditionally from a certain t*nnis realated town in Surrey.

I think the original versions were knitted.

It is self-explanatory

One day you will meet someone on the road....... and you will think to yourself :

Now THAT is a Cockwomble!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Which is very amusing when said by one of our more active members; BentMikey.
First mentioned in these hallowed forums in Aug 2009, in Cubist's explanation of primary position , and still features as Bristol Dave's sig line

When negotiating hazards, for example a pinch point where there would simply not be sufficient room for a car to overtake between you and a bollard island, a cyclist should move into the middle of the carriageway,(primary position) effectively discouraging any attempts to share the space with you.

Unfortunately, this leads to the wasting of perhaps two seconds of a motorist's time, and because a cyclist doesn't pay road tax, they have the right to abuse you, squirt water at you, swipe you with newspapers etc. Queen Victoria was the first proponant of this attitude. Held up on the Mall by Mr Disraeli on his velocipede, she is believed to have been the first recorded person to use the phrase "bearded cock-jockey" in public.

GrasB

Veteran
First mentioned in these hallowed forums in Aug 2009, in Cubist's explanation of primary position , and still features as Bristol Dave's sig line
I can't find the video but there's one from BM where a roady jumps a red light. Mike said something about it & after the roady eventually catches up with BM we have the dialogue of:
Roady: Slow down fella
BM: cockjockey

Cubist

Still wavin'
I can't find the video but there's one from BM where a roady jumps a red light. Mike said something about it & after the roady eventually catches up with BM we have the dialogue of:
Roady: Slow down fella
BM: cockjockey
Succinct, pithy. Respect. :becool:

You'd have to ask the originator of the expression for their intended meaning. To me, it sounds like a general purpose form of abuse.

However, if we were going to be deconstructive about it one could start by asking what we know about wombles. What are they known for?

Basically, they wander unseen across Wimbledon common collecting rubbish (the everyday things that people leave behind.... or something like that). So generally, some kind of secretive public area activity.

Then consider our notions of 'cock'. Clearly it could relate to fowl or poultry, but equally to the male sexual organ (also used for urinating). Add those senses to our knowledge of wombles.... and the idea that is most alive to us, the sense we most clearly have is that of something akin to a.... chicken herder. QED.

A cockwomble is a chicken herder.

Whilst I like the deconstruction, I don't think the logic follows.

I completely agree with 'what we know about wombles'. However, I don't think the prefix 'cock' can logically be said to refer to what they are gathering/herding. If it was Redwomble we wouldn't assume they were gathering red items. If it were fatwomble we wouldn't assume they were gathering up bacon rind or the contents of the dripping tray from the grill. We'd assume we were talking about 'a womble that was red' and a 'womble that was fat' respectively.

Therefore, I think following deconstruction 'cockwomble' can only mean 'a womble that is a cock'.

Now interestingly this could follow to the other suggestion above about it being a metaphor for a 'boss womble' - after all the cockerel is, I believe, normally the alpha chicken in the hen house (I stand ready to be corrected if I speak rubbish here). However, I suspect that the vernacular meaning of 'cock' is more suited - I.e. 'You are a cockwomble' = 'You sir, are not just a womble, but a cock too'.

Now we just have to ask whether it really is offensive to simply be called a womble, or whether there's an element of racism (species-ism?) there...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sillyhat.jpg

Attachments

• sillyhat.jpg
    sillyhat.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom