What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a good film but it would depress the hell out of anyone.
Try the book. Sheesh.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3876403, member: 259"]Lots of beans too![/QUOTE]
Have to say, that trilogy was definitely one of the highlights of my reading over the last few years. Wonderful stuff.

Tin Pot

Guru
Atlas Shrugged I and II

"exploring the consequences of a strike by intellectuals refusing to supply their inventions, art, business leadership, scientific research, or new ideas to the rest of the world. "

Not great, but you don't see many films trying to debate and promote capitalism/industrialism. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for thinking about it.

Tin Pot

Guru
Surely laissez-faire capitalism and objectivism?

Capitalism yes, objectivism..? Not really. Do you mean ethical objectivism?

I suspect the book is better than these movies that have been completely trashed by critics. Though I also suspect they are biased by the underlying ideology being explored.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3876387, member: 259"]I couldn't finish it. The All The Pretty Horses trilogy had me sitting up until 3 am with a bottle of tequila, a spanish dictionary and a shotgun.[/QUOTE]
Although The Road is a bit more optimistic about humanity than Blood Meridian, or No Country for Old Men, iirc.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Capitalism yes, objectivism..? Not really. Do you mean ethical objectivism?

I suspect the book is better than these movies that have been completely trashed by critics. Though I also suspect they are biased by the underlying ideology being explored.

Objectivism as described by Ayan Rand (self interest, individualism) and later taken as a philosophical ideology which instructed the economists such as Milton Friedmann and the Chicago School, Reaganomics, Thatcherism and ultimately the Neo-libralism of Nu Labour, the Con/Dem coalition and the current Tory government.

Ayan Rand was never really taken seriously and dismissed by most of the academic world, but now objectivism has shaped global economic strategies from the wholesale dismantling of public services to the TTIP.

And her books stink.

Tin Pot

Guru
Objectivism as described by Ayan Rand (self interest, individualism) and later taken as a philosophical ideology which instructed the economists such as Milton Friedmann and the Chicago School, Reaganomics, Thatcherism and ultimately the Neo-libralism of Nu Labour, the Con/Dem coalition and the current Tory government.

Ayan Rand was never really taken seriously and dismissed by most of the academic world, but now objectivism has shaped global economic strategies from the wholesale dismantling of public services to the TTIP.

And her books stink.

A fan then! ;)

I've done a little checking and yes her philosophies don't stack up in my view, but I enjoy the thought experiment - what if all the smart people fark off?

The last episode isn't available on Netflix or Amazon or freely on the tube of You, so I might buy the book or Kindle.

The physical book might evoke more comment from visitors, so that appeals to a degree.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
A fan then! ;)

I've done a little checking and yes her philosophies don't stack up in my view, but I enjoy the thought experiment - what if all the smart people fark off?

The last episode isn't available on Netflix or Amazon or freely on the tube of You, so I might buy the book or Kindle.

The physical book might evoke more comment from visitors, so that appeals to a degree.
Worth reading I guess, but for curiosity value and nothing else.

Top Bottom