What Have I Done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankpoet

Regular
Hi from East London.

No, I am not worried about joining the forum which looks great but I entered the ballot for the Ride London 100 mile event and got in......... I was lucky apparently. My issue is that as a slightly overweight bloke in my late 50's who cycles less than 10 miles a week owning a rubbish Carrera city bike how on earth am I going to complete it never mind ride it in the under 8 hours maximum time.

Yes, that's why I joined the forum, advice and support! Looking forward to the banter!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Crankpoet.

There's nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end is there?^_^ The event is in August I believe? In which case, there is time to build yourself up to it.:thumbsup: A decent road bike will be called for - what kind of budget are you likely to have?

Last edited:
Reactions: FFJ

FFJ

and join a club or start riding out with mates...get some miles under your belt and then start to work on nutrition...try out a few gels/drinks/bars etc and see what you like...better to try now rather than find out on race day you don't like what you've taken
Any idea how long it will take? Good luck
I did a tri without a huge amount of time - I managed it but had to get organised and put the training in

OP
OP
Crankpoet

Crankpoet

Regular
Good for you ! Did you factor a new bike into this ?
Sort of, I thought that £250 for a secondhand road bike would be OK but now I am not too sure that's enough!

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll get some miles in and definitely look into some good tasting gel/drinks/bars!

screenman

Legendary Member
I hope you see it through to the end.

Tip, forget the energy bars, if you are a bit lardy you will have plenty of fuel to use up first.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to CC.

buggi

Bird Saviour
The BTwin Triban 3 gets good reviews and it's around £300 brand new. i'd get that with that budget, particularly if you're not good at sussing out whether second hand bikes are any good. Just get out and ride, do a little bit further every weekend.
my first ever big ride was London to Paris. I was crapping myself, feared i hadn't done enough training etc etc. Best 4 days of my life.
put the miles in and i guarantee this will be the best 8 hours of your life. do as much training as you can, just keep riding and get those miles under your belt. the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy the day.
riding to work is a good way of getting the miles in.

Octet

Veteran
Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

The only advice I can give you is to stay hydrated and fuelled up.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome only slightly overweight ? as stated before you CAN do this thing just get out and ride,do a little more each trip (it only needs to be an extra mile or so) and you will amaze yourself ! and as someone on here told me a while ago " it don't get easier you just get faster" and to a point i will agree with it lol.Also if you look at it you only have to average 12.5 mph and it's in the bag !!!

Top Bottom