What Have I Done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Welcome and Congrats!

Mr Boris Johnson completed it on a hybrid and he's not exactly a racing snake is he :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
As others have said, practice, a triban 3 would be a decent investment & make sure you do justice to your good fortune by giving it your best.

simple maths 100/8 = 12.5mph average minimum. Should be easily doable with the time you have got to prepare & by August you should be happily quicker than that. Set yourself a target to start with e.g. 7 miles in 30 minutes, smaller, less daunting numbers = a 14mph average & build it up week on week.

Be steady and consistent on the day at your happy speed. The newbie error on distance rides is to set off like your a**e is on fire and run out of steam well before the end then give up or struggle on at snail pace in all sorts of discomfort.
You will need to feed & drink properly too or you'll find yourself in a similar unhappy place before the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crankpoet

Crankpoet

Regular
Really good advice, thanks, humbling to have so many people taking the time to comment. I'll give it my best. My semi timed cycle today was 8 miles in around 40 minutes so I've got a base to start from.

Onyer

Remember to factor in your refuelling stops. I did just under 100 miles in a moving time of 7:33. But it took me 9 hours because I was tired, (It was my last day of LEJOG and I had ridden the previous 12 days) it was windy and cold. So you will probably need to hit an average of 14.5 for 7 hours with an hour break. I am a little bit older that you but maybe a little bit fitter so I would say that you could do it. As others have said you need to get the miles into your legs. Another couple of bits of advice I have received is
a) Try to do a sportive or two beforehand. Wiggle offer a few http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle I am planning for the New Forest and the Ups and Downs.
b) Try and go as fast as you can for as long as you can. 2 hours at a fast pace means you can easily do 4 hours at a slower pace.
c) Get some hill climbing in and repeat these. A lot of the angst about hill climbing is in the mind. Don't try and blast up them but take it at a steady pace.
d) Now that you are into cycling try and get a bike as good as you can. I invested in a carbon frame last year and it is great. I enjoy going out on it.

Finally if you feel that you can't do it come August let me know and I'll take your place. 3 of us applied and only one of us was successful.

WellyWonkey

Nice one Crankpoet. I'm doing my first 100 miler later on this year too. A bit daunting to say the least but with plenty of training and advice off this site should stand you in good stead. If we both manage it should be prove an invaluable experience and achievement. Get the miles in. Should be a lot easier now the light is returning, and warmth hopefully. Good luck :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome, just read your post and good luck.Not much i can add to the info already given but it does get BETTER. I,ve been riding seriously around 18 months and only really started to loose a bit of weight but now i love it. The burn and pain is still there on occasion and i often struggle slightly for the first mile or so of a ride but once you hit a good pace and get into the ride you find that the miles just keep clocking up. As others have said start small and just build up over weeks and before you know it 25/30 mile rides will be a piece of cake and the feeling when you know you,ve finished a good ride is well worth any aches and pains. Keep them turning!

Bangers

:welcome:, I have a similar challenge ( which has changed 3 times already :banghead:) but from what I can tell with the time available you should be able to complete the 100 and enjoy it:smile: Just put the time in and watch your improvements month by month.

Good luck and keep at it. Never ridden 100 miles but have done just over 80. It wasn't as hard as I thought but it really made me understand the need to eat and drink properly on the ride.

Top Bottom