What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
Yesterday a friend told me his bike was creaking in the area of the front wheel when lateral pressure was applied to the handlebar.

I was aware that the bike has a carbon fork, and had been heavily crashed about five years ago. Subsequent to the crash the bike had been professionally checked.

My mind was thinking of bearings or a damaged and dangerous fork, the latter being outside my skills and experience to assess.

I suggested swapping in the wheel from another bike to isolate the problem.

When I went to swap the wheel I noticed that the QR wasn't tight.

"Oh yes, I had a puncture last week"

Tighten the QR and the creak went away.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Fitted an Alivio: combined 8-speed Shifter / Brake lever on the Carrera - which went fine 👍

IMG_7108.jpeg


The Out-front mount on the Carrera not so much so. I’m pretty sure it will hold. But due to the amount of shims I had to fit to size down from a 31.8mm clamp to 22.2mm it’s not as perfect as possible. And because of a bulge at the clamping point on the bars - i can’t also get the GPS sitting dead central. So it’s more of an “Out infront and slightly to the left bracket” 🤨

IMG_7106.jpeg


With my riser stem - a Stem mount as below: would just end up point skywards:

IMG_7109.jpeg


…….so I’m not sure what the answer is right now 🤷‍♂️ But I think the chances of this bracket lasting long term are right around zero 😉

But for now I have GPS on both bikes. And a back-up for when my Strava next crashes 🤦‍♂️

IMG_7107.jpeg


IMG_7105.jpeg
 

Webbo2

Veteran
Fitted a new front tyre to summer bike. I was hoping the current would last the season out but I noticed it was starting to crack and the wear markers had just about disappeared.
The plus was I got the new tyre on without resorting to levers or the like.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Today I fettled 171g of weight off the New build. I had an idea the standard Synchros seatpost was heavy…..but not THAT heavy 😳

New Carbon fibre post is 31.6mm x a massive 400mm long. I could probably cut some off and save a little more. But as it is - it’s got a massive insertion depth. And a depth that protrudes 2” down past where the seat stays intersect the seat tube. Appears to me for the sake of 10g; leaving it past there is good insurance 👌

Before in Alloy:

IMG_7161.jpeg


Now in Carbon:

IMG_7162.jpeg


**Carbon texture wrap was and is to protect any post from light bracket and underseat bag rub 👍
 

Cycling Badger

Active Member
This evenings fettling:
  • Realised that my dynamo light wasn’t broken, I’d just connected the dynamo to the rear light output and rear light output to dynamo. Switched around, all good, I was a couple of clicks away from buying a replacement unit earlier in the day. Cost avoided ^_^

  • Dug out the mudguards and discovered that when I took them off rather putting all the bolts and washers into a bag and taping it to mudguards, I had secured them place with use of some nuts. So much quicker to fit - hope I remember to do the same when I take them off in the spring.

  • Switched out rear and front wheels, disc brakes aligned and chain nicely tensioned.
Single speed now set up fixed gear, mudguards on, and dynamo lights working.
All set for the less favourable weather and darker evenings ahead.

A satisfying and productive evening tinker
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Yesterday gave the All Road a look over after Saturday's Audax and found the rear tyre flat, upon investigation the leak was at the join on the valve so I think it must have happened when the bike fell over at Cambridge station, was a very small leak so probably why I didn't notice it.Will see if I can repair it somehow.

Otherwise all good, just wiped the chain over and did the same to the frame.
 
Top Bottom