What is "normal" bar width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
i want to buy another handlebar just like the one I already have - how do I know whether this is 40, 42 or 44cm?
... which seem to be the usual options for handlebars.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Measure both c-c and outside to outside, and then check how the manufacturer measures them.
They are all the usual size.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can vary by size of bike, 42 seems most common on a 54-58cm men's frame

Measure them, note some manufacturers use c-c, some OS-OS

Just because they are the usual size, doesn't mean they are the right size for you

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
i want to buy another handlebar just like the one I already have - how do I know whether this is 40, 42 or 44cm?
... which seem to be the usual options for handlebars.
I went through this a couple years ago. I just looked up the spec. of the bars on the bike I liked, and bought an identical pair. The net result is that my old Specialized now has Cinelli bars, 50mm narrower than the original ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to measure your bars. With a bit of luck, the size will be printed on them. They are all a common size, you pick what you prefer, or is on your bike already. Narrow shoulders or broad ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The common wisdom is that your bars should be the same width as your shoulders.
That's what I heard too. Measure between the bony bumps at the top of your shoulders. Actually, it's just a matter of personal preference. Whatever you feel comfortable with really.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can measure but it is more fun to compare your shoulders to bars on bikes in a shop via contortions.
Don't they call Security and chuck you out onto the pavement?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I went through this a couple years ago. I just looked up the spec. of the bars on the bike I liked, and bought an identical pair. The net result is that my old Specialized now has Cinelli bars, 50mm narrower than the original ones.

Ah you have my bike - any idea what the bar width is for the Experience?

It's not listed online

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
You need to measure your bars. With a bit of luck, the size will be printed on them. They are all a common size, you pick what you prefer, or is on your bike already. Narrow shoulders or broad ?
c-c OS-os is code for centre to centre and offside to offside?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah you have my bike - any idea what the bar width is for the Experience?

It's not listed online
My Cinelli Experience is the 54 cm frame 2013 model. The centre-to-centre distance of the drops is 420mm. I put the same bars on my previous 58cm Spesh Secteur. I do most of my riding in busy London traffic so a smaller frame and narrower bars makes "avoiding the furniture" a bit easier. It feels more nippy and responsive. If I did a lot of long rides in the country, with fast downhill stretches, wider bars and a larger frame might feel more stable.

My Cinelli Experience is the 54 cm frame 2013 model. The centre-to-centre distance of the drops is 420mm. I put the same bars on my previous 58cm Spesh Secteur. I do most of my riding in busy London traffic so a smaller frame and narrower bars makes "avoiding the furniture" a bit easier. It feels more nippy and responsive. If I did a lot of long rides in the country, with fast downhill stretches, wider bars and a larger frame might feel more stable.
This is my experience as well. My open road / long distance road bike has wider bars, I find it more comfortable on long rides. My commute/ short distance bike has narrower bars, to allow more 'chuckability' and reduce the likelihood of clattering road furniture / sticky outy wing mirrors, knobbers handlebars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom