What is the salaries of pro cyclists ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Football is a poor comparison for most sports in that it has a system which allows a few teams to cream off the bilk of the monety, leaving the rest to struggle.

There is also the fact that many clubs run just ahead of bankruptcy paying unmanageable wage packets.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The article is from 2012 but I would have thought that Bradley Wiggins would have net worth of more more than 3 million.

Im aware of the date of the article as would be anyone who reviewed the data. My intent was posting relevant figures and I selected Cav and Wiggo as they are both top of their game and popular on the forum.
I think this years earnings will be interesting as Cav has his money from his 'fst as fck' brand association with Specialized and Wiggo will have his Fred Perry shirts.. It will be interesting to see how endorsements impact their earnings compared to prize money imho.
I have no doubt though that Wiggo is by no means on the breadline.

oldroadman

Veteran
The wages vary a lot, as has been said. At the top end it's into 7 figures for a select few, and generally div. 1 riders are well looked after. Though compared with very average premier footy players, they earn in a week what the average domestique might need up to a year to make. Go doen the levels (compare div 2 - pro-conti) with championship footy and the proportions are not much different from the top, just lower maney. Getting below that there are some conti (div 3) teams that pay OK, some who pay a pittance, and under that at domestic level, most riders are a la musette (expenses and equipment only) any money coming from winnings, so that's a very hard life. Toughens them up if they make higher grades, though.
Compare that with footy again, even non-league teams pay players and managers quite well, although a few are part timers, like most domestic team riders.
Moral, if you are not a top star, cycling can give you a decent enough living for a while, but you won't make your fortune and when it's all done there had better be some other way to make money.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
Cycling is the most watched live sport but that's because it's free. If people paid to watch cycling then the wages would be higher like in other sports.

The biggest crime is that women tennis players get equal prize money..... Disgusting.

But most pro footballers couldn't trap a bag of cement and are millionaires,even the ones that you have never heard of are seen pictured lying in bathtubs full of £50 notes.
All you have to do in modern football is score a goal or two, and bingo you have made it !

Angus444

I have two mates riding at Continental level, one in France, one in Germany....these are guys, single, 23 yrs old, one is a qualified nutritionist, the other is completing a Sports Physio qualification.......both earned approx £18,000 in 2013.......not too shabby......

Top Bottom