What is the salaries of pro cyclists ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I have two mates riding at Continental level, one in France, one in Germany....these are guys, single, 23 yrs old, one is a qualified nutritionist, the other is completing a Sports Physio qualification.......both earned approx £18,000 in 2013.......not too shabby......

Poor earnings which are not uncommon at that level. Still if they are "living the dream", then fine. What's clear is that once you pass 23 and have not climbed to Pro-Conti (D2) level by then, it's going to be a hard job to make real money. As I noted earlier, you need to have an eye on what to do to get some decent cash after it's all over unless you are at the seven figure level. The money soon runs out otherwise!

Booyaa

Veteran
I have two mates riding at Continental level, one in France, one in Germany....these are guys, single, 23 yrs old, one is a qualified nutritionist, the other is completing a Sports Physio qualification.......both earned approx £18,000 in 2013.......not too shabby......
My wife is a qualified nutritionist and sports physio and doesn't earn much more than that. She's pretty rubbish on a bike though.

Angus444

Poor earnings which are not uncommon at that level. Still if they are "living the dream", then fine. What's clear is that once you pass 23 and have not climbed to Pro-Conti (D2) level by then, it's going to be a hard job to make real money. As I noted earlier, you need to have an eye on what to do to get some decent cash after it's all over unless you are at the seven figure level. The money soon runs out otherwise!
Yip....their attitude is that they'll race until they get fed up with it, or they are replaced with younger, cheaper, better riders.....unlike many football players of that age, they have decent qualifications behind them for when they stop, and as young lads, they don't have families to provide for, mortgages to pay, etc....good experience to look back on in later life...................

lyn1

Über Member
Sounds like riders on the British scene have an inflated view of their value. They spend 90% of their season riding British "chippers" and demand contracts at levels comparable with Pro Conti or even World Tour riders. May work for a couple of seasons but hardly sustainable,

From Larry Hickmott

"Another thing that has changed quite a lot in recent years is the size of the pay packet being demanded. A rider starts to win big races here in Britain and pretty soon he’s being offered more money by another team and so moves on. It’s the nature of the business and how the merry go round works in some respects. But the amount of money being asked for is getting way beyond most teams.
One rider has reportedly signed for a team for 40k which is enough to fund a whole team. I’ve known teams that have a budget far less than that so the gulf between the haves and the have nots is seemingly growing.
It’s not just the stars that are asking for a lot of money. Youngsters too have reportedly asked for a wage that in some ways may be appropriate to make a living as a full time athlete (£15k) but in other respects, is the same money that some star names were getting only a year or three ago. The wages cost to teams has got a point to where some who have been in the sport a while are waiting for the bubble to burst".

Noodley

There's a good article in a recent Rouleur about Dave Clarke, doesn't sound like he's made a fortunepenny. He's ridden for a dozen teams in as many years.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sounds like riders on the British scene have an inflated view of their value. They spend 90% of their season riding British "chippers" and demand contracts at levels comparable with Pro Conti or even World Tour riders. May work for a couple of seasons but hardly sustainable,

From Larry Hickmott

"Another thing that has changed quite a lot in recent years is the size of the pay packet being demanded. A rider starts to win big races here in Britain and pretty soon he’s being offered more money by another team and so moves on. It’s the nature of the business and how the merry go round works in some respects. But the amount of money being asked for is getting way beyond most teams.
One rider has reportedly signed for a team for 40k which is enough to fund a whole team. I’ve known teams that have a budget far less than that so the gulf between the haves and the have nots is seemingly growing.
It’s not just the stars that are asking for a lot of money. Youngsters too have reportedly asked for a wage that in some ways may be appropriate to make a living as a full time athlete (£15k) but in other respects, is the same money that some star names were getting only a year or three ago. The wages cost to teams has got a point to where some who have been in the sport a while are waiting for the bubble to burst".

One new UK conti level team have signed quite a few riders and a top manager, rumours of shedloads of money involved, which makes you hope it's sustainable. Problem being the pressure placed on other teams. The other problem would be, as has happened in the past, the money buying up talent and one team dominates the domestic scene. Dull, dull, dull. It's happened before and after a couple of seasons the whole programme collapsed.

Top Bottom