what type of bike best for C2C?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Thinking about doing the c2c next Spring. Have just read that about 45% or so is off road-ish: What type of bike do most riders do it on? Mountain? Cyclocross? Road?

Joffey

Big Dosser
You can do the C2C on 100% road if you want. What bike you need depends on the route you take.

Decided on the route and then decide on the bike.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
I did it earlier this year on a road bike. Most of the off-road bits are well surfaced and no problem at all for road wheels. I did make a couple of diversions from my intended route when it all got a bit too agricultural, but that was a result of shoddy planning on my part. When I did detour, it was easy enough to get back on track, as the signposting was very good indeed.

Had a cracking time... I'd certainly do it again.

Should suit whatever bike you have dependent on route (well maybe not a downhill bike) :smile:

For trips like this, you are better off on a bike that you know, trust, are comfortable on and can repair.

Buying a new bike, or upgrading is often at a cost of one of the above.

I did it many years ago on one of the early Pashley APB12 cycles

406 wheels with a 1.5 tyre

Wasn't a problem

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
A group of us did it a couple of years ago on a wide variety of bikes - 3 folding bikes, 2 road bikes, 6 mountain bikes and a hybrid.
IMG_0580.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would think that luggage capacity should be a consideration too. If you are camping then you probably don't want to be carrying a tent, sleeping stuff, clothes etc. on your good lightweight racing wheels! I have done a couple of C2C's - The Way of the Roses on a Tricross, and a Scottish C2C on a Trek hybrid (actually day 1 was on a MTB but it's a long story!).

puffinbilly

Veteran
I did it earlier this year on a road bike. Most of the off-road bits are well surfaced and no problem at all for road wheels. I did make a couple of diversions from my intended route when it all got a bit too agricultural, but that was a result of shoddy planning on my part. When I did detour, it was easy enough to get back on track, as the signposting was very good indeed.

Excellent write up - and great use of maps - I regularly cycle around much of the last 70 miles that you did and good to read from someone else's perspective. I think the bit of path you refer to - re the path melted etc is around a part of Tyneside called Pottery Bank - a pretty tough neighbourhood.
The Tour of Britain is due to finish a stage on the top of Hartside on Thursday - should be a good watch - with up to 10,000 spectators expected at the finish according to the local news.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

Really good write up which has given me an idea. :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've ridden it twice, once on a hybrid and once on a road bike. Either was perfectly suitable and not much difference in average, probably due to 20 years age difference!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've done the route on
A road bike with camping gear - I had to push the bike up some of the steeper hills because of inappropriate gearing
A hybrid with camping gear - no problems.
A touring bike with camping gear - no problems.

In all three instances the only off road section ridden was the Waskerly way which can be ridden with any sort of bicycle.

Gert Lush

Lovely read! :smile: Sparks ideas!

Top Bottom