What Van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
I need a new motor vehicle for when I'm not cycling... I'm after a small van ideally now more than 6 yrs old and about 50,000 miles, ive got a max of £5000 to spend, been looking at Puegoet Bipper but not sure if ill fit at 6'2".

Any van ideas?? Economical as well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A white one !

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I know you said small but larger vans are very handy . My Movano partitions nicely for a changing room at the back and bikes go in the front secured with bungie straps etc . Partition the cab off and you also have an area to warm up in the winter .

Hippy

Regular
I own a Defender 90 van, Hopeless for tall people ( I'm 6ft), cramped, no room in back (except for tool kit to do running repairs, It is a Land rover after all) and not particularly economical. Why do I tell you this? because it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.:smile:

Doesn't fit what your after at all so a bipper may be better, tho it does sound like a cartoon car:laugh:

400bhp

Guru
I have a Fiat Doblo (rear seated version, side sliding doors and rear up and over door). Feckin great for throwing the bikes in . At the moment it's a mobile bike garage.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have Vauxhall Combo with a 1.3 litre turbo diesel engine. It's now six years old with 75 thousand miles on the clock. It cost £3000 a year ago. It's pretty nippy, has a very comfortable driver's seat and carries loads of stuff. Ideal really.

$_1.JPG

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-SAMB...-GENUINE-LOW-MILEAGE-/271930083574?nav=SEARCH

Sorted!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I need a new motor vehicle for when I'm not cycling... I'm after a small van ideally now more than 6 yrs old and about 50,000 miles, ive got a max of £5000 to spend, been looking at Puegoet Bipper but not sure if ill fit at 6'2".

Any van ideas?? Economical as well.

Bigger than they look - go and sit in one at a dealership to try for size.

Nippy beasts too, easy to drive and a chunky payload to boot.

Hi
The Bipper also has Fiat and Citroen versions. I think the pug would be the one people would go for and so the others may be cheaper for the same.

Why not an estate car? Wifey has had a couple of pug 307 hatches. We looked at the estate version (SW is better than estate) and they are huge in the back. I am sure it would take a bike easily. 1.6 hdi diesel returns a good 55mpg. Also the 207 estate is big in the boot too. Both have extended wheelbases. 207 will be cheap as the new 208 is around (which we just got)

Then they do the 2007 and 3007 models which are same base but a bit taller.
Comfort and refinement will be much better in the cars rather than vans. Also safety is built in cars much more than vans.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Insurance on vans is different from car cover..ie you dont get the drive other vehicle on your cover..i dont with mine.

If you have a van you get lots of " can you pick this up or that up etc" be warned..lol

id go for a doblo or a berlingo hdi type..if thats the size you want..you can get long wheelbase versions with high roof so plenty of options..try and buy one that is a "no vat" But be VERY wary of private sellers..
you must hpi it unless its a good dealer ,they will give you this in the sale .

i bought my fiat ducatto new in 06 and treat it well,its now done 45k miles and a brilliant van..
most will be abused and hammered..so if you can see if the van your looking at is a one owner private type and not a Hertz etc van..not saying a x rental is bad but who cares about a rental..plus they get crashed often..so most will have repairs to front and sides

good luck

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Was this the Mondeo replacement ?

I still have an old Nissan Primera (last model) saloon car - bikes on roof. It's 13 now !!!
Well it's actually an addition to the mondeo. .. Long story.

Only cost £3k (9 years old). Even managed to incorporate a decent bike ride into the purchase.

Top Bottom