What was YOUR 15 seconds of fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I won a couple of Road Safety Motorcycling events back in 1969, picture in paper etc and have had a few articles in Velovision over the years. Other than that I tick the no publicity box on the National Lottery so you'll never know when I come up with 'the big one'.

flatflr

Guru
Some years ago I was competing at a sporting even in Russia, my team mates and I got talking to a UK TV production crew who were covering the event. I ended up doing a voiceover for the programme :smile: interesting to see how much of it is done after the event.

400bhp

Guru
At the last ever game at Burnden Park, before the match started, the Sky tv camera panned round and settled on a close up of me and my brother in law eating pies.

I've still got the tape somewhere. :smile:

Think I was there? McGinley the last ever scorer?

screenman

Legendary Member
I was in the orchestra pit at a few Rod Stewart, Bryan Ferry, Jethro Full concerts and a few others back in about 1978 at Southampton Gaumont . Nothing musical, I was part of the security crew.

gavgav

Guru
I appeared in an episode of the BBC 2 TV Series "A Victorian Farm" a few years back. My cricket team took part in a match, with the presenters playing for us in Victorian dress and there is a shot of me loitering behind the scoreboard!

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I was in an episode of Fifteen To One on Channel four in 1995. I sold an art deco clock to Mike Melody on Dickhead's Real Deal, and I once bumped into Hayley Cropper in Accrington!:thanks:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A few bits:
  • Songs of Praise in 1980. I mimed :tongue:
  • On 15-to-1 in 1988 - I was bored after my A-levels. Came about 6th.
  • Just found a Youtube video of me on Ghost of an American Airman's gig in Coleraine in 1988. Erm ... I dressed differently then (see 4:57)!
  • I was on the front page of the Times Higher Ed. in 2003, for which I got hate mail!
  • I won a trip to Nashville/Jack Daniels for a Channel 4 gig in 2006, all expenses paid, which was on Ch 4 (Guy Garvey, Richard Hawley & Frank Black played).
  • Danyl Johnson (X-Factor) performed a gig in my house in 2011. And yes, that's 'fat me' :eek:
  • On BBC's The One Show last year in a piece about Brian Robinson as a 'rider' in the background.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I won a school poetry competition on Ed Stewart's Radio 1 weekend show in the late 70's. I got a pen, a signed poster and a happy 10th Birthday Radio 1 book and my little ditty read out on national radio, I missed it and had no idea until the prize package arrived.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you can find TV highlights for the Sportscar Championship race held at Mondello Park have a look at the early coverage of the pit lane wallkabout & autograph session for the (few) spectators - that's my Biro that Hiroki Katoh is using.

JMAG

Über Member
Surely the winner? Close the thread! :bravo:

Not trying to take anything away from the achievement of playing the lead in a West End production, but my vote would go to to the man who had 2 crashes involving Princess Anne. Even if it misses on the fame element (assuming it wasn't widely reported) and the fact it happened to the brother in law rather than the poster; something about it says EPIC to me. Did I tell you about the time I ran over the Pope? . . . . :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just had a look.....fark me, you look like a proper cyclist and everything

As an aside I see it was filmed around these parts...recognised Etherow CP and the road between Marple Bridge and New Mills

I am a proper cyclist ! It was Marple Wheelers. We got conned into it by the club secretary that just said it was a documentary.... Hmmmm. Chuckle vision wasn't that popular then. It's got bloody cult status now though.

Loads of stuff was cut out. All filmed in Disley and Furness Vale for us, but they filmed up on Mellor Moor as well.

We got a free lunch at the big pub in Disley.

These days I am quite proud to have done it, my kids think it was quite cool.

Top Bottom