What would you ask the head Bicycle Coordinator of your region's Police?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a chance to do just this, next week, on Monday 3rd, via online chat:
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/online-chat.html

In fact, I don't even have to ask him online, because I happen to work in the same building as him, and see him at one of the building's cafes on a regular basis, so I could just ask him in person.

Any ideas, people, on what I might ask him? I realise most of you have limited or no knowledge of the state of cycling in the State of Victoria, Australia, so all I can say is: there's plenty of room for improvement! :rolleyes:

byegad

Legendary Member
Sorry I don't believe in imaginary friends.

byegad

Legendary Member
I failed to miss that you are not in the UK. So apologies.

IF Durham Police had one he'd be a fat beggar, who last rode a bike when he was in the infant school, who'd spent most of his 'active' Police service sat in a patrol car until he got too big to get squeezed in behind the wheel, who'd spent the last ten years in and office waiting to retire, and had upset the Chief Constable at the Masonic meeting so much that they wanted him out. He'd hardly get the seat in his new office warm before he took the hint and applied for early retirement.

Or am I being too optimistic?

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the position newly created. And if it is, is it in response to next months elections. The first in which a cyclists only party is contesting the seats?
What does he see as the biggest issue dividing the police force at present over cycling?
How does he intend to tackle that issue?

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is the position newly created. And if it is, is it in response to next months elections. The first in which a cyclists only party is contesting the seats?
What does he see as the biggest issue dividing the police force at present over cycling?
How does he intend to tackle that issue?
No, the position has been in Victoria Police for years (don't know how many, though). Sgt Arty Lavos has held the position for years, too, and the few times I spoke to him he seemed like a decent enough guy. I've also seen him riding a bicycle to work, by the way.

Ask him if its true they have no equivalent of PACE and virtually no villains plead "not guilty"'for fear of falling down the police station stairs?
What's "PACE"? I searched for it, but still none the wiser.

Anyway, I'm going to think about this during the week and over the weekend, and see if I can come up with something useful to say during the online chat. Failing that, I'll just ask him a few questions in person. Thanks for the feedback, people :smile:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Does the force have a motor vehicle coordinator and if not why do you think that is?
I like that one, but it would really put the poor guy on the spot. I have to walk a fine line between alienating one person in Victoria Police who can help support cyclists, and asking questions that need to be answered.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a raft of legislation that stops the dibble from slapping suspects around like the old days. A colleague of mine is a transferree from the Oz Five-O and he's perpetually gobsmacked at the lack of prisoners who get roughed up. Indeed, it's not uncommon for British coppers to transfer to Oz only to return after a year or so because they can't handle it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I like that one, but it would really put the poor guy on the spot. I have to walk a fine line between alienating one person in Victoria Police who can help support cyclists, and asking questions that need to be answered.
Viewed from a drivers point of view, it could be taken as getting special treatment. See your earlier answer as regards it being a new posistion being created.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
"How (the heck) do you think one person in Victoria Police can help support cyclists?"

Top Bottom