Whats eating my seedlings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

Could be caterpillars, have you checked what is left of the plants, sometimes they are very hard to spot.

If you leave a semi-submerged saucer of beer out, you'll find slugs are attracted to the beer, and then drown when they fall in. It's very effective but you have to use beer and not lager.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
No deadly serious !!!!
He's right mice do like the seeds of peas and sweet peas. Hang on a min while I look in my big book to see what it says about the subject.

<gets big gardening book out and looks up peas and mice>

Right says that mice eat the seeds but millipedes munch the new seedlings so it could be them. (doesn't say what to do to remove them though). I will look in another big gardening book in a bit and come back to you on that one.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ahem, Aperitif was using a verbal witticism, known widely as a pun, on the use of the word MOUSE in FFFF's post.
i.e Mickey Mouse.

Explained jokes lose their humour though so the management would be grateful if you could update your pun awareness app.;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
summerdays said:
That normally slug pellets kill more than just slugs, whereas the wildlife friendly ones don't kill birds and mammals. Are you saying you would like to protect slugs and snails ... cos if so ... let me know your address and I'll post you all the ones I find (and I have in the past caught over 100 in one go on the grass after rain).

Mmm, yes please.
Ill have a little farm of them.
Can you eat slugs? Or is it just snails?

Can you milk a slug:wacko:

longers

Legendary Member
You can eat what you like Joe, just don't offer me any thankyou.

Or eat it near me, or breath on me or tell me about it.

longers

Legendary Member
That rings a bell now you mention it, prolly best not to bother then Joe.

Slugs/snails are eating my clematis I think ;)

Does anyone know how far slugs and snails travel of an evening for a munch?

Joe24

longers said:
That rings a bell now you mention it, prolly best not to bother then Joe.

Slugs/snails are eating my clematis I think ;)

Does anyone know how far slugs and snails travel of an evening for a munch?

Miles ive heard.
I heard they will often travel 12.89 miles to someones garden in the night just to get some nice food, they will also go there to visit the other slugs for a little social gathering.
Iv also heard that the local 'community' of slugs will pass a message around and will go and target a garden/plant in one night. They do this to storm the plants to get a good feeding and catch the owners by disguise. They usualy target plants that dont have anything put on them, and they will go miles to seek these out. They wont pounce on them too soon though, they will let the other slugs know, then have a mass feeding, before moving away quietly into the night, with their black capes flapping and black masks on.
All that is left is:
img_3865_zorro_450x360.jpg

But in the shape of an S

Joe24

longers said:
Twelve point eight nine miles you say?

I'd better move house.

Its a waste of time.
The new slug and snail gangs of the area will get you more.
Depending how hard the last slug and snail gang is depends on if they will come and get you back, but the new gang will probably get you worse for being new.

You will be tracked down, followed and have your plants eaten

Top Bottom