What's happened to my helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
Came to my helmet last week and this is what it looked like. The inner padding has split like a sausage in a frying pan.
Its a Scott Vanish about 10 months old, it was sat in my porch and all I can think is its got too hot. No other idea what has happened so I would welcome suggestions as to what may have caused this. I don't want to try and send it back if I have done something myself that Im not aware of.

image.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It committed suicide at the prospect of yet another helmet thread?

Seriously though, it looks like a materials fault and I would send it back. Unless it was damaged by something it should not go like that.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Rickshaw... If Im honest probably yes, should it not be able to withstand sunshine? I won't send it back if Im at fault.

AndyRM

XOXO
Rickshaw... If Im honest probably yes, should it not be able to withstand sunshine? I won't send it back if Im at fault.

Depends on the concentration of sun and how long it's been in it I reckon.

Maybe e-mail them the photo, explaining the circumstances? They'll know the tolerances of the material they use so can advise if that's a manufacturing fault or melted from exposure.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It should withstand sunshine to an extent but it's surprising how hot something sat in the sun behind glass can get. I've seen audio cassettes that have curled up after being left in direct sun and Land Rover had problems a few years ago with dashboards warping because they'd tried to use a cheaper grade of plastic.

@AndyRM's suggestion is a good one.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Thanks, the only time its been in direct sunlight would be maybe for 10 minutes on a table the rest of the time its been hung up with the inside facing a stone wall. Anyway i shall speak to the seller, many thanks.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks, the only time its been in direct sunlight would be maybe for 10 minutes on a table the rest of the time its been hung up with the inside facing a stone wall. Anyway i shall speak to the seller, many thanks.
Hmmm, despite what I said above I wouldn't have expected it to go like that in only 10 minutes. Is it possible it's come into contact with a solvent at all?

Definitely worth taking up with the seller.

Top Bottom