Whats new?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
I'm getting back in the saddle after about 14 years or so. Not much at the moment just a short commute to work and the odd short ride out until I get my legs back! :laugh:

At one time, about 15/16 years ago now, I worked for Geoff Wiles Cycles in Kent which was a 40 mile commute 6 days a week, plus a 10 mile commute to my girlfriends house practically everyday too, how did I do it? I can barely manage the short commute to work now without my legs aching.

Anyhow when I left the cycling scene Reynolds 753/ 853 was king. Dual pivot brakes were new and STI was just making it's mark and Top end racers had 14 gears.

I'm so outta touch now I feel like a newbie. I don't feel worthy of riding my old Ultegra equipped 531c Raleigh (1986 Panasonic Team Colours) and I want STI now. At the mo I'm on an old bike I built up from a Record Sprint with flat bars and lower gearing.

I was always a bit of a techie regarding bikes, probably more than actually riding and want to try some of the new stuff but where to start!?

Whats an alloy frame like compared to steel? In my day (jeez I'm not that old!) alloy was too flexible but now it seems they're stiff. I can't afford carbon but again they used to be so stiff that they would snap, now I hear of carbon forks "fitted for comfort".

I'm thinking about selling up my old bikes and getting something up to date. Can anyone give me a ball park figure for what my old Raleigh is worth?

Appreciate comments and advice.

Thanks
Tel

bonj2

* you can get a carbon frame and forks for 300-odd quid these days

* why not buy some STIs and build them up onto a frame to get back into the swing of the mechaniccing. When I got STIs I got shimano 105s for £40, brand new, but they were only that cheap 'cos they're 9 speed and it was just phasing out in favour of 10 which is now the norm, might not be any 9 speed anywhere left now but you may be lucky.

* instead of selling the 531 raleigh, why not convert it to a fixed. I've got a fixed that i converted from an old 531 raleigh and since riding it my torque and rhythm are much better than what they were before, on my geared bike as well. And it's a really nice bike.

cadseen

Veteran
Steel frames are still fine IMO, especially for training and they are more comfortable than alloy or even carbon. I woudnt worry about riding that bike if i had it xx( but then i ride my fixed wheel for training a lot as well. especially winter and bad weather.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks for the input guys.

The fixed wheel option is tempting but it seems a dis-justice to the bike, if that makes sense. Actually this is another thing that has struck me coming back onto the cycling scene; the popularity of single speed. Always wanted one back in the day though and it may suit my commuter bike.

As I said I have an Ultegra groupset on the Raleigh its the old 6400, 7 speed, with dual pivot. Would I be able to use Ultegra STI from the same set with the 7 speed or will I have to upgrade to 8 speed?

This is a catalogue picture of the frame of have. I've never seen it before and was unaware of the original spec:
http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/team-raleigh-panasonic84.jpg

bonj2

you won't be able to upgrade to 8 speed I don't think, largely 'cos you won't find many 8 speed components out there in shops now. It's all 10 speed now. You could upgrade to 10 speed.
The downtube shifter braze ons might not (read: probably won't) be able to be used as cable end stops for STIs, this would be the only stumbling block in your way of putting STIs on it really.

bonj2

Tel said:
No I'd have to source the 8 speed stuff second hand. I presume the spacing on the 7 speed block would be different to an 8 thus uncompatible with the 8 spd STI. Regarding the downtube braze ons you can fit stops on them can't you? Like these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/shimanoalloycablestopsbig_l.jpg

ah yes those would work for the DT braze ons.
but good luck sourcing 8 speed STI shifters, even second hand...

why not just get a 10 speed cassette,they don't cost much

Radius

SHREDDER
Not everything is 10 speed, Tiagra is still 9, and Sora isn't 10 sp either, which are probably the two STI / groupsets you could afford without it being worth just buying another bike...

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Research seems to reveal that Campag offers cheaper stuff now than Shimano (?) in the form of Mirage and Veloce (?) what happened to the Exage range!? lol

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks...

Ok what I'm gunna do is focus on converting my commuter to a fixie. I'm gunna start a new post with some pics. I'm going to need plenty of advice cos its something I've never done before. I have searched the forums and theres a surprising amount to take in. Watch this space.

The Raleigh will remain hanging for now...

Top Bottom