What's the best number of gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
1 or 14
Fixie or Rohloff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Advantage with more gears is you can keep that close ratio, and still have some usefull climbing gears.....

I like one tooth jumps, but for general stuff, those two tooth jumps at the larger sprocket mean you can get a nicely spaced block with upto a 27....(10 or 11 speed) that said, I have only just fitted a 23 to the 'best bike' - the Ribble has a 7 rear with a 21 max....

D

Deleted member 1258

I do most of my miles on my fixed, use it for transport and winter club runs. I have a Dawes Giro 300 which gets used for summer club runs and has 8 on the back. I seem to spend most of my time on the middle three cogs, it has a 44/39 on the front and 13-23 on the back.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Both bikes have 11-32 cassettes. On the MTB it means loads to choose from, and easier to work on cadence.

The hybrid is a 36/50 compact double. I can just about get up the steepest hill round here on it, and find the top end is too low. Legs run out of contact at about 38mph. I am seriously considering tripleising it.

Saddle bum

Über Member
When asked why I had a bike with 30 gear ratios, I told him I coudn't get one with 31, (then). I don't really need more ratios, just more legs.

Top Bottom