What's this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've been staying in Rye for a few days.
Walking on the shore, spotted this and couldn't make out what it is? Doesn't look like a ship, and was there for several days running...
Whats this.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The prison ship for the MP's

classic33

Leg End Member
The vessel at the front(far left) is a Belgian tug.
Were they dismantling one of the sea forts?

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
@Spinney, What direction were you looking in, and would you say its about the 77 metre mark?
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:3352641/zoom:10
Roughly south, I think, from the shore near Rye. I took a look at your link - it appeared to be to a vessel called Katrine off Le Havre?
Using the marine traffic site more generally, there is the Fluvius Taw moored in the approximate position, but its track shows it arriving there rather than it seeming to be there permanently.

The vessel at the front(far left) is a Belgian tug.
Were they dismantling one of the sea forts?
I looked up sea forts - I don't think there were any there - they were in the Thames estuary (and one or two other places).

Dredging? That's a guess not any kind of actual knowledge!
Favourite suggestion so far - I found various references to dredging for shingle on the Hastings Bank, which is about there - although couldn't find a reference saying whether or not it was actually being done at the moment, or exactly where the Hastings Bank is!

I looked up sea forts - I don't think there were any there - they were in the Thames estuary (and one or two other places).

There are a few outside Portsmouth (off Southsea). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmerston_Forts,_Portsmouth

classic33

Leg End Member
Zooming the pic, it looks like big scrap piles on deck of the front ship, I wonder if its awaiting a permit for dumping or collecting stuff.
Seems to be moored, piece at the rear port side. But its a Belgian tug up front. Red & white superstructure can be made out.

snorri

Legendary Member
These are vessels engaged on sea defence work, rock armour is transported on the red Stema Shipping barge from Norway, and transferred to the smaller barge CHARLIE ROCK off Rye. .The smaller barge then takes the rock inshore to Broomhill, east of Rye, where each piece of rock is offloaded onto the shore in order to create a sea wall. The last load from Norway was towed over by the tug AGAT, which appears to have left the barge at anchor before proceeding to Rotterdam. The CHARLIE ROCK will have a tug in attendance throughout.

Last edited:
Top Bottom