wheel upgrade from Mavic Aksium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
what are you using them for?

commuting/racing/weekend etc etc

Howard

No. No advantage at all going for either of those two over the aksiums. Unless you are planning on running tubeless UST tyres in the case of the 6700 wheels.

Recommendations? You'd need to stretch for to something deep like Cosmics before you'd notice a performance improvement. Maybe planet X carbon 52mm clinchers might be nearer your budget at £500?

Howard

No, really, there isn't. Unless he wants to run UST tyres. Neither are more aero than aksiums, neither are better built than aksiums, and neither are significantly lighter. It would be a sidegrade.

400bhp

Guru
They are lighter at the crucial part, the rim.

We don't know how old is current wheels are, how much he is willing to pay for weight reduction, nor what he is going to use them for.

Your answer is too black and white.

Howard

Not sure how relevant the age of his wheels is. His question was is it worth upgrading from Aks to 6700s or cheapie kyseriums, not 'my wheels are worn out, should I buy 6700s?'

Weight - yes, those wheelsets might be slightly lighter. Could save you a few watts when epic climbing. Irrelevant when riding with a group. He wouldn't notice. He would notice a £300 dent in his pocket though, or the opportunity cost of not actually buying something that is measurably faster, i.e. aero.

Aksiums / Kyseriums / 6700s all have similar spoke counts, profiles, weights, durability and offer a similar level of compliance and user serviceability. If you need a basic factory built shallow profile wheelset buy the cheapest.

400bhp

Guru
We beg.to differ, end of

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I was just after a lighter set of wheels tbh anything to help me get up hills easier, budget around the £300 to £450 mark, the Aksiums aren't old and will do for most if not all of the riding I do and I'll certainly keep them anyway.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hmm, only a small weight saving between those you have and those you propose to buy, unless you can confirm the weight distribution is favourable in the new wheels, I would save the cash. Even if the distribution is favourable, personally I wouldn't bother for those sort of savings unless feeling really flush! The build quality and stiffness of the wheels isn't likely to be that different either.

Aero wheels are a different subject entirely and they will not really help you going up hill!

Howard

I was just after a lighter set of wheels tbh anything to help me get up hills easier, budget around the £300 to £450 mark, the Aksiums aren't old and will do for most if not all of the riding I do and I'll certainly keep them anyway.

It never gets easier - you just go faster ;)

RS80 C24s might be closer to climbing wheels, but honestly, shaving 300g off your wheelset may not give you the revelation in climbing performance you'd hope for. They'd look pretty though.

Howard

Aero wheels are a different subject entirely and they will not really help you going up hill!

Yes and no. We have some 50mm carbon tubs that are significantly lighter than all of the sub £500 shallow section clinchers. A good 100g lighter than Tricon 1450s, too. They'd probably not slow you when you hit the downhills...

I also can't help but feel that unless you are schlepping up a real mountain every day you are better served by aero wheels than climbers - if most of your riding is done on sub mountain gradients / durations you'd get more benefit from aeros over the course of your ride, if not on the gradient spikes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes and no. We have some 50mm carbon tubs that are significantly lighter than all of the sub £500 shallow section clinchers. A good 100g lighter than Tricon 1450s, too. They'd probably not slow you when you hit the downhills...

I also can't help but feel that unless you are schlepping up a real mountain every day you are better served by aero wheels than climbers - if most of your riding is done on sub mountain gradients / durations you'd get more benefit from aeros over the course of your ride, if not on the gradient spikes.

That's tubs though, if you consider most of the clinchers (manufactured by major brands not Chinese unbranded ones, which are an option) around the OP's budget, you will be getting an alloy rim with either a carbon fairing or some structural carbon bonded to it. They tend to come in at 1750-1800g. Fairly heavy.

Howard

Yeah I know, I guess I was just pointing out that Aero wheels can be light, too. I'm not suggesting the OP buy deep section carbon tubs.

Although deepish crabon clinchers could still be an option if he fancies taking a punt. I think the farsposrts ones can be had for about £400 shipped and are pretty svelte and very tidy.

Top Bottom