When a friend does a punishment pass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There I was, cruising along at 30mph in a 30 zone, about 20ft behind a car, approaching a 20 zone, and some dumb cluck decides to do a Must Get Past The Cyclist Pass And Then Squeeze Him To The Side Of The Road. Rather angry, I shouted "What are you doing you stupid fool?" (or words to that effect), and as she inevitably slows I pulled round to her side to look her in the eye. As I did, she gave me a two-fingered salute, at which point I recognised her as a good friend and colleague. Hmm, what to do?

A phone call - I didn't want to leave it to the morning. "Oops", she says, "I'm so sorry! I didn't realise it was you!!" I really just wanted to know what was going through her mind. It seems she was in a hurry after Evensong, and her dislike of cyclists not going on the shared path by the road led her to make a silly decision. What I still can't work out is if she wouldn't have done it if it were a car doing 30mph, or if she had known it was me, why on earth would she have done it to a cyclist she didn't know?

She is actually, still, a good friend (which is why I rang her): I'd like her to think about how she views other cyclists - she should treat every cyclist as if they are a good friend, whether or not she thinks they should be on a cycle or shared-use path.

she's a hypocritical psycho christian monster, pour brake fluid over her car and never speak to her again.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Double standards spring to mind, it should make no difference at all who is riding the bike, friend or not it does not give her or anyone else the right to do a close pass then stick two fingers up in what can only be described as an act of arrogance and defiance.
Once again the motorist feels all safe and snug tucked up inside his / her little metal box quite confident that the "silly cyclist" cannot get at them to retaliate to their arrogant / ignorant behaviour. I'm sure it would be a totally different story had the cyclist opened the car door and returned the abuse .
I would just love to see an abusive motorist abuse a pack of cyclists only to have to stop further along the road and be surrounded by the same group of cyclists, I can just imagine the aroma coming from the car :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Part of the problem is that these people do not see cyclists as people. What difference should it make if they know you or not? They should treat everyone with respect
Exactly. I hope she reflects on it well. It will be interesting to see if and how she refers to it tomorrow. If it makes her scrutinise her attitude and learn to drive properly around cyclists, she will be a better person.

tell her she has de-humanised living people, by her own words she doesn't see cyclists as real people so, because she is disenfranchised or otherwise unhappy with her life she takes it upon herself to act like a sociopath. Tell her her attitude is similar to that of those with religious prejudice. Tell her she's a rank hypocrite and has betrayed her faith. Tell her her attendance at church is an abomination.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
tell her she has de-humanised living people, by her own words she doesn't see cyclists as real people so, because she is disenfranchised or otherwise unhappy with her life she takes it upon herself to act like a sociopath. Tell her her attitude is similar to that of those with religious prejudice. Tell her she's a rank hypocrite and has betrayed her faith. Tell her her attendance at church is an abomination.
Any more, and I'll need to make an appointment.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
One of a things I hope is that my work colleagues and neighbours who see me arriving/leaving by bike might whenever they see a cyclist think "oh that might be someone I know" and take care. It's a vain hope I know...

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
One of a things I hope is that my work colleagues and neighbours who see me arriving/leaving by bike might whenever they see a cyclist think "oh that might be someone I know" and take care. It's a vain hope I know...
...as I found out this evening. But looking on the bright side, had she done it to a stranger there might have been some very cross words, and both parties would probably have gone away with prejudices remaining; as it is, I think my friend will be examining her attitude, and might well realise the rank hypocrisy of saying "I wouldn't have done it if I knew it was you."

"Oops", she says, "I'm so sorry! I didn't realise it was you!!"
You are a much more patient, forebearing, and saintly person than I will ever be. I would have exploded.

And the test of the friendship would have been her contacting me a little later, and the quality of her more considered response.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
You are a much more patient, forebearing, and saintly person than I will ever be. I would have exploded.

And the test of the friendship would have been her contacting me a little later, and the quality of her more considered response.
I see her four days a week, so I'll be a constant reminder that cyclists can be friends too. She'll know that I won't forget.

Top Bottom