When Will or Did you Retire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Prompted by a different thread, just wondering when most of you plan to (or did) retire, and how your post retirement days will be (or are being) spent.

My current intention is to retire from full time employment in 5 years time at the age of 60, but I'm not sure yet how I will spend my time. All I know is that I want good enough weather to spend most of my time on outdoor pursuits because I'm really not well suited to being an indoor person.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Don't have a pension ...but I'd like to hope I'm not going to work past 70...

midlife

Guru
I pay off my mortgage at 62 and plan to retire at 67 when I have put my youngest thru' uni. No plans yet apart from getting there :smile:

Shaun

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I retired in 2004 aged 48 having worked hard & smart (plus a bit of luck here & there) to finish work at a relatively young age. I thought it would be nirvana.

It wasn't and I got bored after a year.

Set up a small business, that I work at part time for 9 months of the year, and I am much happier. I don't need the money from it but I do need the purpose and social contact it gives me. I have no intention of voluntarily stopping either and I am comfortable that I do it on my own terms and because I want to rather than have to.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I intend to retire when Mr Summerdays does or at least reduce the number of hours worked if I'm enjoying work. So somewhere in the next 15 years I guess!

tyred

Legendary Member
My boss probably thinks I have retired already:whistle:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I always planned to retire at 55yrs but didn't quite work out that way.
Took redundancy in 2008 aged 50, life moved on, at age 55 I became self employed foster carer, now semi retired full time foster carer hoping to be fully retired by 60.
Currently have a very nice pension fund waiting for me thanks to working my nads off in the steel industry for thirty years.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If I'm not forced to retire early through my current injuries, I'll retire in July 2017. Both kids will be a year into Uni so fastidious financial planning has meant we paid the mortgage off this year ( a couple of years ahead of schedule but low interest rates and an offset mortgage have helped). I've got a couple of things planned to keep me busy, and if things go really well we'll
look at seeing whether Mrs Cube can retire as well. I'll be 53, so too soon to be doing nothing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been self-semi-employed for years, and have no plans to change for the immediate future - couldn't afford to apart from anything else. No pension to speak of, two kids to get through university, dog to feed. When the second one's graduated we might think about cashing in our chips (London house) and moving out of town. Or possibly rent the house out & go travelling. Dunno. But either way, I hope I've got a few more years of (on & off) work in me yet.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hoping to retire at 50, but it depends how long I can hang on in my current role. Been lucky with work so far and the shares I snagged early on managed to pay off the house and leave some in the bank. I think the big question is how much the kids cost me. Some days I do fancy stepping out the rat race and trying to get a job as a postie.

Top Bottom