Where is the work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As a supply teacher, I rely on teachers to go off for various reasons to provide me with work. School has re-started 4 weeks ago and so far....... nothing! I have to live on my meagre pension until the day I get a phone call for an assignment which I hope will be soon. It isn't just about the money, it is also about keeping myself occupied and having a reason to get up in the morning . I like work and being retired can be boring.

swansonj

Guru
Supply cover is expensive. We now basically employ an extra staff member who is on hand to cover absences. It works out cheaper for us but reduces employment opportunities for supply teachers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's only been a few weeks. They are refreshed from the summer. Give it a few more weeks with the lovely darlings, especially secondary, and the teachers will be dropping like flies.

Get out on your bike

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Maybe teachers finally realised working 5 hours a day 30 weeks a year is pretty easy?:whistle:
It is a misconception to think that teachers have it easy. It a very stressful and difficult job. They don't just work 9 to 3pm. Many teachers start at 8am and finish after 5pm, not to mention taking work home for marking , preparing etc....That is why I have no wish to be a full time teacher, not at my time of life anyway. Only people who don't work in education think they have it easy.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is a misconception to think that teachers have it easy. It a very stressful and difficult job. They don't just work 9 to 3pm. Many teachers start at 8am and finish after 5pm, not to mention taking work home for marking , preparing etc....That is why I have no wish to be a full time teacher, not at my time of life anyway. Only people who don't work in education think they have it easy.

I would like to give that post 10 likes.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Primary or Secondary? In my day, primary school was fun when the teacher was off because the supply teacher would probably play games like hangman with the class, or we'd maybe watch a video. In secondary, one of the other teachers with a free period would just cover and try their best to pick up where we left off in the last lesson. This was usually achieved by consulting the teacher's pet in the class.

These days, according to my sister who's been teaching for 15 years, your first day of sick is "make do", whilst you are then asked to prepare lesson plans from home for a supply teacher if any subsequent sick days are expected. Long story short, it's become more hassle to take a sick day than to actually come to work and stick it out. Plus any planned sickness (operations etc) are expected to be taken in the holidays.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As a supply teacher, I rely on teachers to go off for various reasons to provide me with work. School has re-started 4 weeks ago and so far....... nothing! I have to live on my meagre pension until the day I get a phone call for an assignment which I hope will be soon. It isn't just about the money, it is also about keeping myself occupied and having a reason to get up in the morning . I like work and being retired can be boring.
Private tutoring?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Primary or Secondary? In my day, primary school was fun when the teacher was off because the supply teacher would probably play games like hangman with the class, or we'd maybe watch a video. In secondary, one of the other teachers with a free period would just cover and try their best to pick up where we left off in the last lesson. This was usually achieved by consulting the teacher's pet in the class.

These days, according to my sister who's been teaching for 15 years, your first day of sick is "make do", whilst you are then asked to prepare lesson plans from home for a supply teacher if any subsequent sick days are expected. Long story short, it's become more hassle to take a sick day than to actually come to work and stick it out. Plus any planned sickness (operations etc) are expected to be taken in the holidays.
Secondary.

Top Bottom