Where to buy vegan ingredients?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Going gradually is a good idea. If you want something a bit more exciting than plain oats, you can make your own granola really easily:

Mix oats with oil and syrup (can't remember exact quantities), stick em on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 20 mins on a medium heat. Mix in dried fruit and nuts of your choice. Lush.

One small drawback is that you do end up spending more time preparing food (only a drawback if you don't like cooking); if you're feeling lazy, Linda McCartney sausages are delicious and easy. And vegan, unlike those dicks at Quorn who use milk and egg in just about everything.

Good stuff, thanks for that :smile:
I'm actually really weird, I love porridge oats cold, just with milk, can't stand them as porridge. In fact, the coconut milk actually made them a bit sweet and rich for me this morning!! (I do have some almond milk now so will try that, maybe diluted a bit)
But, also love granola, so will give that a whirl as that sounds really good too!

I was going to avoid the pre-prepped stuff, but I will get some of the Linda McCartney products. Last thing I want is for food preparation to feel like a chore after a long day at work so it sounds a good idea to have something in the freezer that I can just chuck in the oven if I'm feeling lazy or pushed for time.

One really nice breakfast I have come across (whilst touring abroad) is tahini mixed with either grape molasses or date syrup (roughly equal parts depending on how sweet you like it/want it), then spread on toast or bread... but watch the ingredients in bread - a huge amount of it has dairy in, as does most margarine. There is a really nice soya cream available that is an excellent substitution in most recipes (including fresh) which comes in both fresh and long life versions.

Over on the GoodFoodForum (of Shaun's) I also have a recipe for Scrambled Tofu with mushrooms and onions... you can change the veg around as needed.

(I'm veggie but allergic to all dairy products, and allergic as in anaphylactic shock allergic not intolerant)

Hope you enjoy your foray... :thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
Good stuff, thanks for that :smile:
I'm actually really weird, I love porridge oats cold, just with milk, can't stand them as porridge. In fact, the coconut milk actually made them a bit sweet and rich for me this morning!! (I do have some almond milk now so will try that, maybe diluted a bit)
But, also love granola, so will give that a whirl as that sounds really good too!

I was going to avoid the pre-prepped stuff, but I will get some of the Linda McCartney products. Last thing I want is for food preparation to feel like a chore after a long day at work so it sounds a good idea to have something in the freezer that I can just chuck in the oven if I'm feeling lazy or pushed for time.

The correct, Scottish way for oats!

Good accompaniment for the sausages is roast potatoes, cooked in a mustard, oil, syrup and pepper glaze. Mess about with quantities until you find a mix you like. They are top notch!

I'm actually really weird, I love porridge oats cold, just with milk, can't stand them as porridge.
that is also how I prefer them - I soak them overnight in almond milk (or soya milk) and then eat them (uncooked) with some added fruit such as blackberries/raspberries or whatever is available. They are nice with a touch of date syrup as well... :smile:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi

Ive decided of late for no reason really other than my health, for eating fish/bird just twice a week with maybe the odd egg and I'm completely red meat and dairy free.

Anyone know of a decent vegan cheese and a vegan mayo available in Asda or Tesco, if they exist?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi

Ive decided of late for no reason really other than my health, for eating fish/bird just twice a week with maybe the odd egg and I'm completely red meat and dairy free.

Anyone know of a decent vegan cheese and a vegan mayo available in Asda or Tesco, if they exist?

vegan cheese ? Shum mishtake shurely

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm seriously thinking about jacking meat in. I've whittled my meat intake down over the last months to about 20% of my usual amount. I want to do it for ethical reasons not for any health benefits though they will be welcome!

AndyRM

XOXO
Hi

Granovita and this egg free mayonnaise are both really good. You might be able to get them from bigger Asda stores, not sure about Tesco. Holland and Barrett's carry them, or you can order online. There are loads of recipes for making your own, though I have never tried it.

As for "cheese" there are loads! Violife make a really good mozzarella equivalent which is lush on pizza and sandwiches and they've got a range of other varieties available. Arla also have a range of cheeses, but I think they are mostly vegetarian. Again, you might struggle to find them in 'mainstream' shops.

To be honest, vegan "cheese" is a bit hit and miss - the texture is really hard to re-create, and the flavours can be weird. I can't remember what it was, but MrsRM found one that tasted like my football boots smell after sitting damp and forgotten in a bag for a month. Rank.

Your location says Manchester - get yourself along to V Revolution!

pclay

Veteran
I realise this a thread resurrection, but it would be good to know how @Panter got on with their diet.

I have tried really hard to be vegan form the 1st Jan 2016, mainly for health reasons. Not missed milk or eggs at all. the only problem is avoiding them as they are in a lot of things that you would not expect. (e.g. flavored crisps contain dairy).

I feel a lot better with more energy. My dry skin condition (which I have had for several years) cleared up within a week.

Quinoa, chia seeds, oat/soy/rice/almond milks, non dairy cheese and egg replacers are generally really good. Tesco have a good 'free from' range now, especially on the non dairy cheese and yoghurts.

I now pretty much have chis seeds and ground flaxseed with my overnight oats every morning. they are wonderful for the digestive system.

Anyone know of a decent vegan cheese and a vegan mayo available in Asda or Tesco, if they exist
Tbh, you are best making your own vegan cheeses but don't expect them to melt, they don't. There are companies who make vegan cheeses but I haven't liked any of them. Be careful though because not all cheeses that are made from soya milk are vegan so check they state they are.

My favourite cheese is made from cashews nuts, soaked overnight, ground to a puree and then probiotics added before maturing for anything from 1-4 days. It can then be used as is or flavoured and I'd best used as a spreadable cheese. The choice of probiotics (which brand and hence what combination of them) controls the end flavour of the product.

Top Bottom