Where to (safely) leave a van in/near Oban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil and I are thinking of another tour through the Western Isles and west coast of Scotland, starting or ending with the ferry from Oban to Barra.

The exhorbitant cost of getting the train to Oban, especially for two, and the likely hassles of getting a tandem there with us, mean that I'm thinking of driving our camper there with the bike or bikes in it, then leaving it there while we're away.

Now Oban gets quite lively on a Saturday night sometimes, and I'd worry about parking it on the street for two weeks. Are there any members in that area who'd look after it, or who could suggest somewhere?

AndyRM

XOXO
Hazelbank motors - http://www.obancarhire.co.uk/parkandcruise.asp

Stoddarts - http://www.stoddarts.co.uk/

Both offer secure parking.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am going up to Oban this year and was looking at rail fares. From here, the standard fare offered is about £155 return, which is a bit steep. I checked various options and found that it was possible to do it for a much more reasonable £60 return! That would be by buying separate advance tickets for Hebden Bridge-Preston, Preston-Glasgow, and Glasgow-Oban. You might be able to get your fares right down if you try doing something similar. The Glasgow-Oban return leg is only £19.60 booked sufficiently far in advance, on selected trains.

You could be right about hassle with the tandem though!

(As it happens, a friend fancies a holiday there at the same time as me so we are hiring a van for the week and I am giving her my rail fare plus a bit more to cover any running about we do up there. We are hoping to do a century ride taking in a circuit of Mull, a second century ride on the mainland, and a walk up Ben Nevis.)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Always split the tickets at Glasgow. The 'free' bus between Central and Queen St (which you can't use with a bike anyway) seems to cost far more than the two train journeys on either side booked separately.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a bus?! It's less than half a mile on foot!
I was sitting in my back yard the other day with a mate, drinking coffee in the sunshine. One of my neighbours got in her car and drove off. She returned less than 2 minutes later with her son. Allowing time for him to get into the car at the other end and to turn the car round somewhere, how far can she have driven ... 200 yards, maybe? :wacko:

AndyRM

XOXO
I was sitting in my back yard the other day with a mate, drinking coffee in the sunshine. One of my neighbours got in her car and drove off. She returned less than 2 minutes later with her son. Allowing time for him to get into the car at the other end and to turn the car round somewhere, how far can she have driven ... 200 yards, maybe? :wacko:

There should be a 'That's fecking tragic' button for posts like this.

Brandane

Legendary Member
There once was a man with a van
Who wanted to visit Oban...

[please continue]

Which diznae rhyme;
Unless spoken in line
With BBC announcers,
But that doesn't mean it's fine.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Park at Glasgow Airport (lots of air parks)and fly to Barra ( bike as excess luggage) then return to mainland and cycle tae Glesca:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, we went with the van. The council's long-stay parking was full, and remained obstinately full, although we and a couple of others cruised in and out for half an hour or so in the hope that a space would come free. In the end we parked on the street up the hill a bit. It was fine - I can see something parked among the bars in the town centre maybe ending up worse for wear after two weeks, but up among the posh houses on the hill I doubt anyone noticed. Ours was not the only van parked for a long period.

And the trip? Cycling northwards from Barra was great - sunshine, tailwinds, fantastic wild camping.... and I think our distinctive tandem gave us a small measure of fame in the islands - people would see it and say "Oh, I think I've heard about you".

And then it all went eerily weather-free on the day we turned south again and headed for Stornoway. Then it started raining....

.... and it poured as we got up and caught the early ferry to Ullapool, with added gales. A rough crossing ensued: curiously there was little take-up breakfast on the ferry. As we waited to disembark, a stevedore wandered along the car deck telling folk that both roads out of Ullapool were closed due to flooding and landslides.

We elected to lurk in Ullapool until the weather had eased off, and, hopefully, we'd get good news about the roads. The town was full of cars and camper vans waiting for the roads to clear. Fortunately no-one had told their occupants about Ullapool's best cafe, so we holed up there for quite some time.... Most of the other cyclists who'd been on the ferry were there too!

Eventually, the rain stopped. We decided to head south and at least look at the blockages - maybe we could wade through where cars couldn't? And the worst that could happen was that we'd have to return to Ullapool.

We waded through three spots where a stream had overflowed a culvert and carried sand, gravel and football sized rocks across the road. Nothing short of a full-on 4WD was going to get through any of them. Cars were stranded between them - they must have been on that stretch of road much of the night, since the streams burst over the road. We got wet feet, but they were wet anyway. And then we got to where the fire brigade had taped off part of the road because they were attempting to recover a big coachbuilt motorhome that had got stranded in a small landslip. Clearly, as it was passing a garden wall, the water built up behind it caused the wall to burst, partly submerging the motorhome in rocks and sand, and stranding a hundred or so other cars behind it, trapped between it and the previous flood/landslip.

We joined the crowd of stranded motorists watching, and when they'd got the motorhome clear and the firefighters had finished messing about with ropes and diggers, we waded through.

We had the rest of the A835 all to ourselves - the best circumstances in which to ride it, I think.

And yes, we made it back to Oban, but no, we didn't ride Bealach na Ba. It was cloudy and wet and there'd have been no view. Another time.

Top Bottom