Which bike? All advice welcome :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zombryn

Hello folk!

I've recently discovered that my workplace offers the cycle scheme and after wanting to get back into cycling for far too long, as well as losing some extra weight I need to make a decision about a bike.

So far I've managed to narrow it down to either a hybrid or a cyclocross. Mainly because my commute will be city roads (on the way to the station) and country roads/parks (station to work). Maybe a road bike would be just as good, feel free to throw any knowledge and opinions my way.

The route I'll be taking at first is this. And over time I'll extend it as I get better at it. If you check out the road view you'll get a good idea of the type of surface. Half of it's through a nice big park too.

It's worth mentioning that I'd also like to use it outside of work. I'm mostly a country kinda guy and have family in Wales so it'd be great to have something that could cope with angry country roads and a bit of off road business too.

Budget at the moment is around 500/600 (maybe more) including any extra gear/clothing but I'm guessing I can build up things over time as long as I have the essentials.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/replies.

Custom24

Über Member
The surface looks fine from street view. A road bike would be fine, although so too would a cyclocross or hybrid (no need for front suspension in my opinion for this route) It looks like a really nice ride. I can't tell what sort of gradients are involved from Google Maps. Do you have a bike at the moment? Have you ridden this route?

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

The gradients as far as I know are all pretty tame. No gigantic hills or anything like that, it's all pretty flat Cheshire roads...at least the park and the surrounding roads are from what I've seen walking and driving around there.

I haven't ridden the route yet and technically I do have a bike but it's an ancient city bike and lives in Wales.

Simmer

The roads in tatton are in a better state than the rest of your roads :smile: The park opening times might effect you though. Any bike will do for that route, doesn#t need to be a cyclocross.

The straight along Tatton wall is horrid though at the wrong time and there have been some nasty accidents recently. You are better off using Marsh Lane for that stretch during peak times.

If tatton gates are locked, you can use Mereheath lane and then turn down by the garage towards Ashley.

As another alternative, you could use Mobberley station and use Mobberley Road to Ashley, that's a great little ride without any hills.

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

Thanks for all the advice Simmer. I will definitely tweak the route then as it's mainly just an idea and I don't have my heart set on it or anything. I'm commuting from Stockport to Knutsford but aiming for shorter routes to start off with before I make them longer. Train half way and bike half way kinda deal.

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

So I think it's between a road bike and cyclocross. I like the idea of being able to go off down some grass or over some rougher ground if necessary (I also like off road cycling too).

Does anyone have some advice for choosing which bike for my budget or any specific recommendations?

Custom24

Über Member
It's through cycle scheme so it has to be new and from Evans I'm afraid.
Does it have to be through cycle scheme because it allows you to spread out the payments, or because it saves on the tax? Reason being if it's just the latter, a second hand bike is probably still going to be more cost effective.

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

Both of those reasons for cycle scheme :smile:

I don't have to have a cx but it sounds more appealing. As long as it'll cope well with where I want to take it it's fine if it's a road bike. If I can get a way better road bike for my budget then I'm happy with that too. I can always think about getting something else later on to satisfy any off road desires.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans have a reduced Jamis but basic gearing. Their Pinnacle range isn't bad either but think £600 a struggle

Problem with most roadbikes is if you want mudguards which really are essential for winter riding, you'll often only be able to squeeze on slick 23mm tyres which aren't the best for rough stuff

Suggest you do some research on the Evans site, post links to bikes you like the look of and can afford and let peeps comment. Help us out :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

Thanks Vickster, and after following your advice here is a list:

[Disclaimer: I don't know anything very technical about bikes so these are purely based on what I think looks nice as well as being as close as possible to my budget - you get what you pay for and all that]

CX bikes (still a possibility but if the road bikes will be far better value for money then ignore these):
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a3-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec053834
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/alto-cx9-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec061593

Road bikes:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/torino-sr4-2014-road-bike-ec061588 / http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/gtr-series-3-2014-road-bike-ec054167 (same price)
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/ventura-race-2014-road-bike-ec054712
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/sportif-21-compact-2014-road-bike-ec053265
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/sportif-11-compact-2013-road-bike-ec041878 (last years model? Good savings on quality?)

They are some rough examples around my budget (I looked into it more earlier and it's around the 600/700 for the bike now and 100 for helmet and accessories...this could change of course depending on which accessories I'll need I guess).

Thanks again for any further help :smile:

Custom24

Über Member
Some random questions
What do you weigh, and what's your height and inside leg? (For example, the last bike you linked is only available in a very small frame suitable for someone around 5 feet tall).
What will you want to carry with you on the bike? Do you want mounting points for mudguards, and racks/panniers?
Do you want to use the bike all year round, even during cold & foul weather?

Are you happy with dropped handlebars? If you are used to powerful brakes on flat handlebars, this may tip things in favour of the cyclocross/disc brake route. I'm only saying this because I personally find rim brakes difficult from the brake hood position (OK in the drop position, but you don't use that position all that much).

Another disadvantage of drops is that you get less room to put all your gadgets and lights. On mine, by being careful how I've arranged them, I've got a computer, headlight, secondary light, reflector and bell. But it was a struggle and there is zero room left.

Finally, when you say the bike has to be from Evans, because of "cycle scheme", which Cycle to Work scheme does your employer operate? You're probably right, I'm just checking.

KneesUp

Guru
For £500 for the use you describe, I'd get the Fuji Touring from Evans.

Nice and unpretentious looking, steel framed so lovely to ride, touring gearing so good for Welsh hills, comes with a rack for your commuting luggage, and takes 35mm tyres with guards, so will be fine with a bit of (slightly) rough stuff.

OP
OP
zombryn

zombryn

Ahh I didn't check the sizes, sorry about that. Here are the answers to your questions:

Currently 14 stone and I'm 5'11". Inside leg is 32" (as long as I measured that correctly).
I'd probably wear a backpack for clothes (we have a shower at work) and lunch so no rack/panniers.
I would like to use the bike during cold/bad weather. If it's particularly terrible then I might avoid it but I don't intend to give up cycling for the winter if I can help it. Which means that mudguards could be a pretty good idea.

I don't have a lot of experience with dropped handlebars, mainly had bikes with straight handlebars but I'm not against adapting.

It doesn't have to come from Evans but that's what everyone at work recommends since they do a price match if you find the same products cheaper anywhere else, and apparently they're pretty helpful and honest at the one closest to me. As far as which scheme, this is the website we're given for reference but we go through our own benefits process to do it - http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

KneesUp - Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely look into that one :smile:

Top Bottom