which bike lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bricksmasher

Hi guys, I am new here

I have just bought a 7.5fx and wont to make sure I keep it, and living in cambridge I dont trust anyone as its knwn for bike theft esp as I work in the city centre.

I have a lock already but it only cost around £20.

So I will keep that one to fit around the frame/quick release wheel but I want a chain/round one so I can secure it to the fence/gate across the road from work so I will keep an eye on it, I was thinking of this#

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.as..._York_Fahgettaboudit_chain_and_padlock_100_cm

but is this just alot of money for a lock or is it worth the investment?

Thanks guys

Its a lot less than replacing your nice new bike.

U style locks are generally reckoned to be better than chains. They can be larger diameter material so harder to cut with bolt croppers). Also the smaller it is, so that as much of the lock is filled with bike/cyclerack/railing to prevent tools getting in there the better.
Having said that, I use a chain as not everywhere I've had to leave the bike has had something small enough to get a U-lock around (eg lamposts). Keeping the other lock for wheels (and seatpost - unless you take that off and into work with you) seems sensible.

Best solution would be to find somewhere secure in your workplace if its possible, such as chained to your desk ;)

edit:Sorry, forgot the most important bit :welcome:

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Its a lot less than replacing your nice new bike.

U style locks are generally reckoned to be better than chains. They can be larger diameter material so harder to cut with bolt croppers). Also the smaller it is, so that as much of the lock is filled with bike/cyclerack/railing to prevent tools getting in there the better.
Having said that, I use a chain as not everywhere I've had to leave the bike has had something small enough to get a U-lock around (eg lamposts). Keeping the other lock for wheels (and seatpost - unless you take that off and into work with you) seems sensible.

Best solution would be to find somewhere secure in your workplace if its possible, such as chained to your desk ;)

edit:Sorry, forgot the most important bit :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome :smile:

I appreciate the help/advice.. I guess the main reason I was looking for a chain style one is that there are limited places to lock it up, and a long chain is ideal, if pretty safe, that is. I appreciate the advice on the U lock and I will keep that in mind for sure, of chain locks, does the Kryptonite one look superior to any other one or are there better out there?

Thanks again

Manonabike

Über Member
If you have bike parking like this or similar

16.jpg

Then the Kryptonite-New-York-Fahgettaboudit-Mini-Lock would fit around the seatstays and rear wheel + bike parking like above (Hal Ruzal locking technique) - I own only mini locks but the Fahgettaboudit is my favourite.

If weight, 2k, it's too much and you only lock your bike for a short time in a non high crime area then the Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Lock at just under a kilo would fit around the seat post, rear wheel and bike parking. (road bike)

Both techniques leave thieves no room for a mini bottle jack or other tools..... I guess that cutting them open is their best option. A power tool being probably the only option to cut open the first lock.

An 18ml thick chain might be a good lock but the weight for that is above 4 or 5 k for those.

If you are desperately after a chain and won't have to carry it around, then the Almax motorcycle chains are supposed to be the best ones out there. One of the good things about these chains is that the links are big enough to get a lock through, so you can effectively shorten the chain loop using a padlock so it doesn't hang on the ground.

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Thanks guys I appreciate the info :smile:

Well, there are smae rails as per pictured above but these are often full, so I normally use a long chain lock to lock to a metal gate, opposite the Hotel I work in and I can see it from where I work from, I guess my fear is I can work 12-16hr days and it sits out there late a night quite often when I cant see it, so I wanted a decent lock

I might keep my current lock for as I said locking my wheels/frame, nvest in a U lock for when I can use the railing as pictured above.... and when I cant I can usr the U lock for the wheels/frame and my current lock to lock the the fence

Of interest, does anyone recommend the following:

https://www.immobilise.com/view.php?stage=product&category=1&product=2

or anything similar?

Thanks again guys, most appreciated

Hello and welcome bricksmasher = I would be lookinghere to protect a bicycle left for your shift length. Through both wheels and around something solid. get insurance from a reputable company like M&S for peace of mind.

The other option is to keep your 'best bike' safe, and invest in a 'clunker' that can do the commute to wrk / then replace with something better etc. as your experience grows.

I would lock a 'clunker' up with something like an ABUS 1050 Steel-O-Flex Granit X About £70 - and, at 100cms, will fit around the top bit of your torso.

Have a great time on the forum! :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
the lock in the link is on youtube being 'easily' cut with bolt croppers in about 1 minute (it requires 2 cuts). That's not good for a £100+ lock.

also, I just had a bad experience with Fat birds online!!!

The kryptonite M18 is a good D-lock and can be found online for about £60 --- RRP £100

Manonabike

Über Member
I can't find the link that shows the ABUS 1050 Steel-O-Flex Granit X as one not to be trusted. It's not really 25mm as much of it is simply padding. ABUS makes some great U locks though.

Here is another link with some useful info Best locks

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Thanks guys

I didnt actually realise that the chain lockk I was looking at weighs around 5kg! Means I would have to have that in my backpack or something, so perhaps the D/U locks are more suitable... seems my bike has quick release wheels on front and back so I guess I'd need more than one, or Ive seen Kryptonite do some 7ft extension for locking, but that seems a little thin judging by the pics

Can you tell I have only owned average commuters before :smile: but I will admit I have neever had one stolen, but theives will know the bikes worth stealing and after spending out on this I dont want it gone lol

chatreed

If you have bike parking like this or similar

16.jpg

Then the Kryptonite-New-York-Fahgettaboudit-Mini-Lock would fit around the seatstays and rear wheel + bike parking like above (Hal Ruzal locking technique) - I own only mini locks but the Fahgettaboudit is my favourite.

If weight, 2k, it's too much and you only lock your bike for a short time in a non high crime area then the Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Lock at just under a kilo would fit around the seat post, rear wheel and bike parking. (road bike)

Both techniques leave thieves no room for a mini bottle jack or other tools..... I guess that cutting them open is their best option. A power tool being probably the only option to cut open the first lock.

An 18ml thick chain might be a good lock but the weight for that is above 4 or 5 k for those.

haha,this is the perfect description,we always lock bike with that stuff

Paul_L

Über Member
I'm sorry but i can't help thinking you shouldn't be riding a £700 bike to work and leaving it locked or otherwise in public.

At the very least it's likely to get damaged through attempted theft even if they can't get through the locks.

I only ride my expensive bikes to work as there's secure sheffield stands within a locked cage in the basement of our building.

Keep your nice bike for weekend riding or for where you know where it is at all times.

Top Bottom