Which is 'greener'? Petrol or diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
It's coming up to new company car time again and I'm fortunate in that I have a fairly wide choice of vehicles.

Is the 'greener' option a petrol engine car that does 40mpg, or a diesel engine car that does 60mpg? Annual mileage will be about 15,000 and I'll have the car for 3 years.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I would say petrol because of the particulates in the diesel.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I would say petrol because of the particulates in the diesel.

That's the thought that prompted me to ask the question, but how do the emissions from burning 1.5x as much petrol compare (especially given that it will be a new engine which will, presumably, comply with whatever the latest regulations regarding emissions are)?

screenman

Legendary Member
Thinking out loud here, most new diesels will have a DPF so should be quite clean.

Must admit I prefer a diesel for my style of motoring.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would look at how much tax the car would cost me first. :smile:

I would check out which one's my bikes fit in.

Are cyclists the tightest breed going, what do they do with all their disposable income.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Be diesel for me to.
son in law has a new v40 1.6 d R design, fantastic performance small engine car and frugal too.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Honda Civic diesel.... 74mpg... and no VED for your employer.

...or look at the Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid.... really low company car tax and even better for your employer's P11D tax, up to 32 miles on one battery charge for start/stop around town driving and 52mpg using the diesel engine for motorways.... plus lots of room for bikes.

Top Bottom