Which new Decathlon bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
Hi,

I currently struggle through a 37 mile round commute on my old Saracen Instinct jump style mtb with city jet tyres fitted.
My boss has signed up for the c2w scheme,and being fortunate enough to live only 2 miles away from the Giltbrook Decathlon store I have decided to treat myself to a shiny new bike. Yay!
The trouble I now have is choosing between these two,

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-3-173178017/

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/riverside-5-men-s-141401402/

Both will work out at approx the same price by the time mudguards are added to the Triban, so cost is not an issue.

I travel daily from near the Decathlon store to Castle Donington in Leicestershire, which is mostly flat with the occasional steep hill.

I have a choice of staying entirely on road, or can travel approx 15 miles of journey on canal towpath.

I know its purely a personal choice, but am fighting with myself and choosing differently every day - I would love the Triban, but would need to carry on using a backpack which is a bit uncomfortable. The Riverside would perhaps be more practical, but weighing in at a touch over 16kg?? Man thats gonna hurt aint it?

Anyway, just wondered what your choice would be - Triban or Riverside? Thanks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Put a rack on the Triban. Topeak seatpost style plus a trunkbag should carry enough for a commute.

16kg is wayyyyy too much.

ACS

Legendary Member
Put a rack on the Triban. Topeak seatpost style plus a trunkbag should carry enough for a commute.

16kg is wayyyyy too much.

Got to agree with this. Rack with a top bag or pannier and mudguards are the way to go.

Should be thinking about lights if you plan to ride all year round.

Best of luck

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Thank you for the replies.

I agree that a post mounted pannier rack would probably be enough for my commute, but by the time I add mudguards and the rack, along with suitable bag, the weight of the bike will be adding up.

I should have said that I already have lights, computer etc on my current bike ,which I am happy with, and would transfer them to the new bike.

Uncle Mort, I know what you mean about entry level prices, but the next model up in both ranges seem to be less value for money. The Triban goes from ally frame to carbon, and the Riverside frame adds hydraulic brakes, neither of which I am bothered enough about to justify adding another couple of hundred quid to the bill. From all reports, it would seem that Decathlon bikes represent top value for money, and are usually better than similarly priced competitors - although you all may know better!

I should also add that while I am buying on the c2w scheme, I am still on a tight budget, and debts still have to be repaid, so although I would love to spend up to £1k on new bike, I would rather stay at the lower end of the allowance.

Thanks again

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Hi Mog

Can you buy from halfords, as the subway is top value for money. I'm no fan of Halfords but credit where credit is due.

No, I'm afraid not. My company has signed up with Cyclesheme which as far as I understand, Halfords is not part of, though I may be wrong.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the subway is a decent bike, but it may be put together by idiots. You stand a better chance with Decathlon.

forget mudguards. They are the work of the devil.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
The Triban 3 has mudguard eyes.

Stick some 28c Schwalbe Marathons on it and towpaths will be a doddle.

Riverside looks very heavy

If you want a hybrid the Carrera Subway 8 is stonking value, Alfine 8 speed hub gear (low maintenence)

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
the subway is a decent bike, but it may be put together by idiots. You stand a better chance with Decathlon.

forget mudguards. They are the work of the devil.

Really?? Why so?

2pies

Veteran
I'd agree with that point. I guy I work with has had no end of problems with a Halfords bike. He took itto an independent LBS who were quick to find the problems caused by whoever assembled it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Triban 3 has mudguard eyes.

Stick some 28c Schwalbe Marathons on it and towpaths will be a doddle.

Riverside looks very heavy

If you want a hybrid the Carrera Subway 8 is stonking value, Alfine 8 speed hub gear (low maintenence)

Best check the triban has clearance for 28`s before buying them .

I had a subway and it was a great bike , i was lucky enough to find my local halfords good and i have never had any problems with set up like so many others seem to have suffered with.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Once again, thanks to all for your contributions - gonna take another look at them "in the flesh" on the way home tomorrow. Looked at the more expensive Riverside 7 on t'internet, but it is just as heavy as the 5 - very surprised.

I got last years version of the Triban (which was called the Sport 1 i think). Got to say i'm really pleased with it though I have no other bike of a higher quality to compare it with.

Any problems I had were sorted with what can only be described as excellent customer service.

My version would only take a seat post mounted panier and you need to ask instore re the (devils) mudguards as mine wouldnt take most brands - though they do sell some that do fit instore that are not an 'own brand' make.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice people. Yesterday, I completed the c2w paperwork for Triban 3, mudguards, and seatpost rack. :biggrin:

Just got to wait for the paperwork process to be completed. :sad:
I spoke to the head mechanic geezer there, as I was thinking of getting the next model up, the Triban 5. He advised me against it, saying that the first upgrade on either bike would be the wheels (same wheels on both bikes), and the 5 was just not worth the extra money - very honest of him, I thought.

Top Bottom