Which stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
oh my, what a choice!

I've decided to try a shorter stem on my Cube road bike (currently 110mm and 6 deg)

I thought I'd have a look around a couple of on line places to get an idea and to say I am overwhelmed with choice is an understatement!

As a starter for ten there is this one. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/
Seems reasonably priced too.

Is there anything I need to consider apart from the desired length and ensuring it'll fit my current steerer / handlebars?

Apart from length, there's angle, which makes a considerable distance to the height the bars will be held at and a much smaller difference to reach. Have a play with this rather useful tool, which does the trigonometry for you, to see what effect length and angle have: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

GlenBen

Über Member
Planet x has quite a few at low prices, for a few pound, might even be worth getting a few and trying them out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think brand makes a lot of difference, as long as it's the right length, angle and clamp size. Aesthetics may play a role, colour etc. fwiw I'm happy with a pro plt one

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Stack height is important too - if its more (or less) than your existing stem you may have to fiddle around with the spacers on your steerer.

festival

Über Member
A shorter stem will effect the handling, so how short are you looking to go and why?
Do you have the option to raise the stem i.e. more spacers underneath?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A shorter stem will effect the handling, so how short are you looking to go and why?
Often said, but unless you are making a huge change to the length I doubt you'll notice. I have a bike with an 80mm stem, and a bike with a 110mm stem (the frame top tubes vary in length) and it takes about 10 seconds, if that, to adjust to any difference in feel in the handling, and only if I've ridden one of them exclusively for some time :okay:. Have you tried flipping the stem? That will effectively shorten your reach a little - if the stem is in the 'down' position at the moment.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
don't go down the adjustable route; the deda (a brand i otherwise love) one i tried was a nightmare. i was hoping that i could have one setting for commuting and another for club rides, but was far too much of a pfaff…

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru

I find my natural hand position is some 20cm behind the hoods and shortening the stem will allow me to be on the hoods with slightly bent elbows and importantly, feeling comfortable. I'm looking to go for an 80cm stem

Often said, but unless you are making a huge change to the length I doubt you'll notice. I have a bike with an 80mm stem, and a bike with a 110mm stem (the frame top tubes vary in length) and it takes about 10 seconds, if that, to adjust to any difference in feel in the handling, and only if I've ridden one of them exclusively for some time :okay:. Have you tried flipping the stem? That will effectively shorten your reach a little - if the stem is in the 'down' position at the moment.

I'm sure, like you say, that I'll soon get used to the change and before I know it, it'll feel as though it has always been that way. I don't imagine it will make the handling unbearable just different to start with.

I'll check the stem to see which way it is at the moment - I'll have to pop down and have a look :smile: Cheers for the hint :okay:

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
don't go down the adjustable route; the deda (a brand i otherwise love) one i tried was a nightmare. i was hoping that i could have one setting for commuting and another for club rides, but was far too much of a pfaff…

Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping the Deda I'm looking at will be just what I'm wanting. Will be ordering tonight so should be here before I get out next weekend :okay:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I went for an 80mm from 110mm on a giant defy a couple years back as I felt I was over reaching. I could tell after only a few miles that I wasn't as comfortable in the corners, just felt too twitchy.
I shouldn't have reduced the length by as much as that to be honest and should've gone for 100 or possibly 90mm.

festival

Über Member
If you have to reduce the length from 110 to 80cm to be "comfortable" it strongly suggests you are riding the wrong size frame, a frame not suitable to your body shape or like me you bodies a bit battered and not as flexible as it once was.
Have you considered getting expert advice on bike set up and position?

Last edited:

festival

Über Member

In time you get used to most things but the difference between 110 & 80cm is vast and suggests a case of making do.
I took advantage of a giant TCR at trade price when my fitness and knacked body was more suited to a Defy. I had to use maximum spacers and reduce the stem from 110 to 100 to achieve my correct position. It made the front end a bit twitchier but perfect otherwise.
Any more adjustments would usually suggests wrong size.

Top Bottom